Laptop GPU issue

Vishnu27

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
I had a problem with my dell inspiron n5010 laptop.

The laptop had a dedicated AMD graphics of 1 GB which helped me to play medium spec games and stuff.

I purchased this laptop on 2009.So its almost 8 years old.Though i had to replace my HDD (2013) and Motherboard+heatsink(2014) due to some issues.

In 2016 i had an issue with my amd gpu.I used to get a blue scrren when im playing graphics intensive tasks or when i play games.
I gave to repair to nearby dell service center and the issue was fixed by reinstalling OS and drivers.

Then later in 2017 the same issue reappeared this time the service personnel suggesting me to do a reflow.So i have done the reflow
and there was no issue for 6 monmths provided i didnt use my laptop for much gaming this time.

But again after 6 months the same issue occured asn this time the service personnel suggested me to do reballing.
Now after reballing i found that they replaced my AMD gpu with Intel HD Graphics.

The service personnel didnt tell me they replaced AMD chip with Intel until i found out that. They just handed over the laptop to me and said your issue is fixed .
When i asked why its not showing AMD under device manager->Display Adaper, they said they had replaced AMD with intel chipas the AMD chip is damaged.

They charged me Rs 3700 (INR) for this work and said it is better for you as the chances are your laptop may me usable for atleast 2 years.(No warranty though)

And they said if they are gonna replace with AMD chip then chances are there my laptop goes into same issue again after few months.
And it would cost around Rs 5800 (INR) for replacing with AMD chip.

I entirely dont believe their theory that my amd chip got damaged.They could have tried reballing the same chip.Or it may have got damaged due to some mistake from
their side..or they might have replaced this to some other laptop.I have my doubts.Now without a dedicated graphics as you know i cannot perform graphic intensive
tasks thus lowering the laptop value.

I would like to have some information on the below.

Can a graphics gpu with such issue repaired by reballing ?
Is there a chance like gpu going completely dead ?
In the current scenario is this the best service i can get?

What other best options do i have ?

Vishnu27

Estimable
Feb 9, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Vishnu27 : "Laptop GPU issue"

I had a problem with my dell inspiron n5010 laptop.

The laptop had a dedicated AMD graphics of 1 GB which helped me to play medium spec games and stuff.

I purchased this laptop on 2009.So its almost 8 years old.Though i had to replace my HDD (2013) and Motherboard+heatsink(2014) due to some issues.

In 2016 i had an issue with my amd gpu.I used to get a blue scrren when im playing graphics intensive tasks or when i play games.
I gave to repair to nearby dell service center and the issue was fixed by reinstalling OS and drivers.

Then later in 2017 the same issue reappeared this time the service personnel suggesting me to do a reflow.So i have done the reflow
and there was no issue for 6 monmths provided i didnt use my laptop for much gaming this time.

But again after 6 months the same issue occured asn this time the service personnel suggested me to do reballing.
Now after reballing i found that they replaced my AMD gpu with Intel HD Graphics.

The service personnel didnt tell me they replaced AMD chip with Intel until i found out that. They just handed over the laptop to me and said your issue is fixed .
When i asked why its not showing AMD under device manager->Display Adaper, they said they had replaced AMD with intel chipas the AMD chip is damaged.

They charged me Rs 3700 (INR) for this work and said it is better for you as the chances are your laptop may me usable for atleast 2 years.(No warranty though)

And they said if they are gonna replace with AMD chip then chances are there my laptop goes into same issue again after few months.
And it would cost around Rs 5800 (INR) for replacing with AMD chip.

I entirely dont believe their theory that my amd chip got damaged.They could have tried reballing the same chip.Or it may have got damaged due to some mistake from
their side..or they might have replaced this to some other laptop.I have my doubts.Now without a dedicated graphics as you know i cannot perform graphic intensive
tasks thus lowering the laptop value.

I would like to have some information on the below.

Can a graphics gpu with such issue repaired by reballing ?
Is there a chance like gpu going completely dead ?
In the current scenario is this the best service i can get?

What other best options do i have ?