how often does a 'turned off' smart tv ping the wireless router

midshoregeek

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
I was recently told by a provider that the reason I was a getting 3-4 Mbps wireless signal on my testbed laptop when I was right next to the router but a 10.7 Mbps signal when wired to the laptop. I received some dubious answers, but one of the answers I've tried to dig into with no luck is:

'your powered-down smart tv's are all drawing from this signal as well.'

Now, I have no doubt that my smart tv pings the wireless router from time to time, but the idea that this is a permanent situation seemed far-fetched to me. This is a line of site antenna that comes in and connects to a small black rubber connector that plugs into the electrical socket to power it. The antenna plugs into a socket labeled 'poe' and has a standard cat 5 ethernet cable connecting from the black plugin to a Microtik routerboard wired and wireless router.

When I ran speed tests from Ookla and another site not using Ookla, I got a good steady stream of 10 to 10.7 Mbps when the laptop was connected to the ethernet cable, thus cutting out the router, and from an additional ethernet cable plugged into the router.

However, when I sat down next to the router and ran the speeds on wireless, I was getting readings from 3.2 - 6 Mbps. My laptop is malware free with ad blockers turned off. So my questions are:

1. Is it normal to have this much of a drop from wired to wireless?

2. Do powered-down smart tv's draw a steady signal from the wireless router that would affect the laptop sitting right next to the router?

Thank you so much in advance from a long time reader, but first time writer.

Paul in Maryland

What is this about an antenna, are you using a long range antenna to connect to the router WiFi signal? Or are you connecting directly to the router?
Has this always been this bad on WiFi? On all devices?

If you look at the wireless network settings, what speed is it showing you as being connected with and how many signal bars are showing it being at?

Did you test the router on different WiFi Channels or different bands (2.4 and 5 ghz)? Run a utility like INSIDDER and see if it gives any info about interference and signal quality.

midshoregeek

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
This is long range signal from tower to line-of-site antenna (still lot's of places in U.S. that do not have broadband.) I don't understand what you mean by "has this always been this bad on WiFi? On all devices" What is "this"? I have already typed all recorded speeds in my OP. According to the utility I use, mine was the only device connected on 2.4 and 5, so channels were not an issue, and both bands showed the same speeds. Thanks!

Has this always happened, meaning is this a new issue or is this how it's been working the whole time? Other devices meaning did you test things on only your laptop or on other things also? You need to rule out anything that may be causing the slowness, what if it's your laptop WiFi that is the issue not the router? Did you shut everything off when testing since the guy said your TVs are connecting as well? If you don't see them in the connected devices list in the router, they are not using any connection.

While you will see a drop for the connection on WiFi normally, your connection is slow enough that even a basic WiFi G connection with some interference can hit 10Mbps if that is what your wireless does.

I used to have a 30ft mast on my farmhouse 30 miles outside Dallas area and I know the pain, best speeds I could always get on that setup was 3-5MB/s but it was better then 300KB/s on satellite.

Mine though connected to my own router after connecting their modem to it, I controlled the Wi-Fi in the house.
is your a provided or do you own the router?

midshoregeek

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

I can only say that everything you inquire about was tested before I ever thought to come here for expert technical advice. Your last sentence pretty much answered one of my primary questions. Thanks

midshoregeek

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

As far as I can see, there is a small rubberized device that plugs into the wall, which has the line in from the antenna, and the line out to the router, so the small device must be their modem. This is for a client, so he's still trying to determine whether the router is rented or purchased. It's a microtek routerboard, which I've personally never even seen advertised anywhere. This leads me to believe that they provide the router as well. Thanks for the reply!

midshoregeek

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone can answer my primary questions which is whether smart tv's (any you know of) stay connected to the wireless router 24/7 whether powered on or not? Thanks!

I looked at my 3 smart tv connections after being off all night, and they are not even connected to the wifi of the router, so I will assume no, and I think this is right because when you first turn on the tv, and switch immediately to "sources" it will take a few moments before the wifi connects, and show network devices, if it was connected all night, they would show up right away, and since the router does not show the TV as connected (advanced/connected devices), I would say.. no they dont. I have 1 LG, 2 Samsung's .