Reusing "older" PC for Oculus Rift

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
So I am looking to "rebuild" my older computer (about 4 years old) for Oculus rift. At this point, I will need a new video card, so I'm looking to a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card. That I have to buy (or some video card).

My question is more on the CPU and other components. I have a Core i5 3570S processor, and a motherboard with only (2) USB 3.0 ports (but has 4 USB2.0 ports). First off, is this processor going to be enough for Oculus rift? (I had read a few comparisons between the AMD FX8350 and other than core count, it seemed to perform at least the same, if not better, when you take that into account--the AMD having 4 more cores).

I am trying to avoid having to build a new Intel rig as that would require purchasing everything (CPU, board and RAM, as I already have 16GB of DDR laying around).

Suggestions or ideas? I'd like to not spend more than about $500 doing this, and I think at least $300 of that is going to a video card. I mean, could probably build an AMD FX8350 system since the FX8350 has essentially been replaced by the new Ryzen processors. This built would only be for Oculus Rift and photo editing in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. No other games (except for some that are 3-5 years old and can run on current-gen Intel graphics basically, so they aren't an issue with whatever route I take).

I see that the adjusted the minimum requirements to a core i3 6100 and only requring (1) USB 3.0 port (although it still requires 3 ports total, I'm thinking for the two sensors you get in the kit plus something else). I don't want to go overboard in this build, but I also don't want to build and find out it won't work either. I think the GTX 1060 will be enough, as that's what is recommended (the 1070 and 1080 are definitely out of my price range considering the small budget). I did see a lot of people asking about older core i5 processors (like the 2500K for example).

Sorry for this to be so long, but part of me says that I can always just try what I have and see if it works too. I need to get the video card regardless, and that I'm very sure will be fine for most things.

Suggestions or ideas? I guess I'm more or less looking to see if anyone has tried to run Oculus with a similar configuration with what I have, being that the hardware is about 4-5 years old.

Solution

leigh76

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
As far as i am aware.....

Minimum: NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater

Minimum: Intel Core i3-6100 / AMD FX-4350

Minimum: 8 GB

Minimum: Windows 8.1 or newer

EDIT:

Taken from Oculus site..........

Graphics card

NVIDIA GTX 1060/AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater

Alternative graphics card

NVIDIA GTX 970/AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater

CPU

Intel i5-4590/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater

Memory

8 GB+ RAM

Video Output

Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output

USB ports

3 x USB 3.0 ports plus 1 x USB 2.0 port

OS

Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or newer

Justiceinacan

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
I really wouldn't build with FX since a few years ago. It runs hot and needs more cooling to run well, the "extra" cores are weak, and it'll need a higher grade motherboard to run well also. Unless you're getting an 8350 and a 990FX board together for less than $100 (you might be able to, used) I don't think it's worth it.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-3570-vs-AMD-FX-8350/m793vs1489

I don't think that money is spent well on 30% better multithreaded at the cost of 30% single core. I'd say they're sort of the same, so I'd keep what you have.

As far as graphics goes - just don't get the 3GB 1060. VR eats up quite a bit of VRAM so you're gonna want some on hand.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
I wouldn't build with such an old setup for VR. You want everything to run REALLY ultra smooth to prevent nausea. The CPU is pushing the edge for some games, and GPU wise you want something like GTX 1070 level.

And Buying an FX-8350 right now is the biggest waste of money ever. Do not do that. For the same money you can Build a Ryzen 3 1200 that will demolish it.

Sakkura

Distinguished
It's preferable to have 3 x USB 3.0 ports. One for the headset is absolutely required; another two for sensors is recommended but not strictly required. If only one sensor is on USB 3.0, it may or may not reduce the tracking fidelity. It wouldn't be disastrous, but maybe a little hitch here and there.

I'm running a Core i5-3450 on a Z75 board with 4 x USB 3.0, and that works well. Your CPU performance is going to be extremely similar to mine, so that should be fine. USB is the only stumbling block.

My build is just as old, and the Rift runs fine.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

I'm sure it does, but I've seen folks have such an issue which is why I always recommend over spec to ensure a perfect smooth experience.

I'm a bit biased as I'm one of those people, in fact low fps first and even third person stuff makes me nauseous. Theres a lot of people like me as well, so it was worth making the point.

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015
I think I'll get the video card for now, as I'd have to get that anyway. If I did go with the 1060, it would be the 6GB for sure. The 1070 is a bit out of my price range, considering that I will probably end up having to buy everything (CPU, memory and motherboard), and considering this will strictly be a VR machine ,and a little photo editing, although mostly VR. I also want to make sure that I'm going to stay with the VR thing, and not dump it like I have other "hobbies". I mean, the computer would still be useful, but overkill for what I'd use it for if I wasn't doing VR stuff.

Another thought would be I can also get a basic combo (Core i5 7600k, which should be plenty for now, with memory) for about $250 after rebates (CPU/motherboard combo bundle from one of the local computer stores). But then that means I would have to get the 1060 6GB, as the 1070 would be probably another $100-150 more beyond the 1060, which would put me over my budget.

Or I could just go back to what I said, and get the video card and try to make it work with what I have. The only hump I'd have to get over is that I only have (2) USB 3.0 ports with no other options to add an add-in card (as the board is an ITX board with only one PCI-E 16x slot, which will be used for the video card). It has 2 onboard ports, and I can have up to 8 USB 2.0 ports (4 on the board, and up to 4 more using the pin headers) and that's all I have to work with on this particular combo I already have, as mentioned in my original post.

A third option would be just to just wait on the PC rebuild. Even in 3-6 months, the price of things may drop again, even may even go down a little on the Oculus Rift system. This isn't something i have to do today or tomorrow, but something I'd like to do "soon" but could also wait until tax time next year to see what my tax return looks like, and maybe build a nicer system (allocated more money to the computer build). I need the video card either way I go, so I could just get that now, and see if it works. If it doesn't, then I'll just wait for my tax return and then rebuild the PC (cpu/board/memory).

sirhawkeye64

Estimable
May 28, 2015

but I'm wondering if the 6GB 1060 would be enough? I'm also giving up on the idea of a AMD FX chip and will either do a Ryzen chip or just wait until early next year and get a higher-level Core i5 chip.

I'm also a bit curious about their announcement of the Oculus VR Go, which should arrive early next year they say, and this is going to be portable and not require a computer at all, and supposedly the starting cost is only $200.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

Thank God you're dumping the FX idea, huge waste of money in 2017.

IMO a 6GB 1060 is not enough for the best experience. it works, and works well, but I prefer more horsepower to get a proven fluid experience.

The Oculus Go will not be for you, its going to basically be a headset with phone hardware built in made for specific games and software for it. not PC games.

Solution