Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Review: The World's Smartest Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane.brysch

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I'd like to see a match up of the Huawei Mate 10 Pro vs the Pixel 2 XL. Because of Apple's push to have their own proprietary means of product distribution along with limitations that have come from that through the products' growth cycles, there are plenty of people that will just use an android based OS. However, Samsung, along with several other brands, push lots of bloatware onto the consumer to begin with. That coupled with a carrier's bloatware really makes the whole experience suck.

That said, Huawei seems to be sticking to a more stock Android experience as well with just a few things added rather than an all out "load the boat" mentality. I'd presume that the performance for the Mate 10 Pro is going to be quite impressive on these marks as well.

mount.victor.oz

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Look at the detail differences between the Pixel 2 and the iPhone 8 in both the Lego and Raccoon pictures. While the iphone is brighter, it's overexposed. The outside environment (looking out of the window) shows that the iphone simply has the exposure incorrect. The finer details in the raccoon's fur are also quite noticeable. If you ratchet up the exposure on the Pixel, the images would have similar brightness but the details would be present in the Pixel where they are not in the iPhone.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Good point on the cameras. We'll be doing a more in-depth camera face-off.
Agree on detail on raccoon but not Lego. Also worth keeping in mind that only iPhone 8 has true 2x optical zoom, and you can actually preview the Portrait Mode effect when shooting.

tolkien00

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I agree with Anonymous' response to Mark Spoonaur, I'm glad someone point it out and feel that the iPhone has way more color saturation that while will make what you're aiming at will pop more, the rest of the picture just looks blah. Balance needs work, possibly could get handled software-level hopefully.

Linked_1

Honorable
May 21, 2017
The pixel 2 is a straight up scam phone.

It always rushes about 2 months to get Oreo out before other phones have it so that it can have a temporary edge. If it took the additional 2 months it wouldnt have all the issues it has but it also wouldn't seem as impressive since all the devices will be a lot smoother, snappier and efficient once they're all on the same developmental cycle.

The pixel also doesn't have the hardware integration and optimization that galaxies have and that takes time. The audio, display, security, radio, etc all have hardware optimized functionality and capabilites that the pixel doesn't have.

It forgoes all that to have a bare framework that is much easier to have drop less frames and also much easier to patch.

There isn't any coverage of the hardware optimization that goes into galaxies so users are often surprised when they switch over to stock and find that so much of it is less refined and restrictive..

If all you do is use basic apps then you might not notice as much but you'll still miss out on all the audio video security radio and general customization refinements.

You also miss out on things like the pressure sensitive home button and app rescaler, auto hiding nav bar and lots of stuff like that. All that takes time.

Google can also get away with rushing out updates and then just patch up issues that users have later on

origsquig

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
linked sounds like an s8 sales guy, pixel kills the s8 period, the tests prove it, the performance proves it.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I just bought two Pixel 2 phones (5 days). My wife and I love them. Since I was coming from the LG G3 (LineageOS 14.1) I was repulsed by the large bezels but after seeing it in person and holding it in hand it is a total non-issue. Going from 5.5" screen to a 5" is what is difficult for me. It is just too small and cramps my hand to hold on to it. A protective case may help add some bulk. So it is going back to be traded in for the Pixel 2 XL. For my wife it is perfect as she is coming from the Lumia 640. I just installed Square Home and she is thrilled to have working apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.