Charged a water damaged phone, charger still safe to use?

zemberek

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Yes, it may sound idiotic at first, but please read what I have to say. So I had an accident, I dropped my phone into a toilet bowl. I pulled it out immediately, dried it as much as I could and then I left it to dry in a cupboard for a few days (dropped the phone on Monday morning, dried it until Friday morning). And then, I plugged my phone and left it to charge until it was 100% charged. The phone seemed dry at least on the outside, the charging port was dry but the phone internals probably weren't.

Now, the phone is not what I'm concerned about, it is my charger. So my question is, is the charger safe to use on a different phone? Could water-damaged internals of the phone damage the cable or the charger itself in some way?

Thanks

While a power surge or water getting on the charger could be a problem, other than that, it should be safe to use on other devices.

That said, not all chargers are equal. So the device you had it on and the device you want to use it on may require different things. I would check the specs first.

BTW, in the future, when a phone gets wet it is always best to open it up and take out the battery (plus take out any SIM or SD card) while it dries.

zemberek

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Thanks a lot for the answer! The device is HTC 10, and I plan to use the charger on a different HTC 10. The charger is Qualcomm USB 3.0 Quickcharger. So what do you think, is it safe?

Also since it's HTC 10 I couldn't open it up and remove the battery, but I did remove SD card and SIM card. And I sincerely hope it won't happen again. :((

zemberek

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Sorry for bothering you, just one more question: is there any way to check if the phone did send a surge through it? It didn't get wet, but the surge part is what concerns me. And I really don't want to ruin another phone because of a charger. Then again, if a surge did occur, what exactly would happen if I plugged it into a working phone? Would it mess up the circuitry and render the phone unusable? What are my risks here exactly? Thanks once again. :)

zemberek

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017

Phew. There goes a load off my mind. Can't thank you enough, I really, really appreciate it. Thanks a million. :)