How do you connect Rift VR with only 1 HDMI port on the GPU?

vice86

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Right now I use my Rift in my office with my PC that has a GTX1080 in it with 2 HDMI ports...figured that was just standard on all cards. I want more room for VR so I'm upgrading my i5-2500K desktop in my living room with a new GPU, probably the GTX 1060 6GB and right before buying it I happen to look at the pic of the inputs and noticed only 1 HDMI port on it.

So my living room desktop is connected to my projector thru HDMI, there's no other option. How would I plug in the Rift's HDMI?

EDIT: Googling I see there's an HDMI to DVI cable. I guess I could just replace my HDMI cable with this for the connection to my projector? Or they also have the little dongle you plug into the DVI that's about 3ft long with an HDMI input on the other end for your HDMI cable. I would assume either would work.

Blas

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
I have the rift too, and i bought an HDMI extender to have more cable length, and it didn't work, so i bought another one and it worked fine: the rift is kind of sensitive to the cables you use. So if you only have one HDMI port in your graphics card but you need 2 for your devices (Rift + projector) i would definitely try to change the cable for the projector, which i assume will be more tolerant to it.

The GTX 1060 has 1 HDMI and 3 DP outputs: if your projector has only HDMI, i would try to find a HDMI-DP adapter, so that you can plug an HDMI cord to the projector, and adapt the PC end of that cable to DP so that it can be plugged to the GPU. And i would keep the Rift plugged to the GPU's HDMI directly.

Sakkura

Distinguished
Yeah Displayport is pretty much the standard PC display output, so probably better to have a Displayport-HDMI adapter than DVI-HDMI; soon GPUs won't have DVI at all (some already don't).