A terrible mistake, Need help!

valenti.matteo

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
Hi guys,

I just made a big mistake. I bought Oculus Rift thinking that my GTX1080 would do the job as it does with all games so far.

But I didn't look at the CPU requirements and when installing the software I get the error that my CPU is not supported.

I have a AMD Phenom2 x4 965 ona a ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 with 12GB RAM.

Now I know that with $300 I could get a CoreI5 and RAM and get everything going but what I would really really love to do is avoid reinstalling Windows which the new Mobo would force me to do.

So my question is: is there any CPU that I could install in my current system to get the Oculus going? Please help!

Many Thanks

Solution
Your motherboard has "beta" support for the first generation of FX CPUs, including the FX-6100, FX-8100, FX-8120, and FX-8150. Those CPUs are all technically below the minimum requirements for Oculus, BUT they do have the SSE4.2 instruction set and thus they will work with the Oculus Rift. The performance just won't always be great.

Those CPUs are pretty old by now, so you're going to have a hard time finding one on store shelves for a reasonable price. You could look around for a used one though.

I would consider this a temporary solution though. Sooner or later you'll want to move on from that old motherboard.

PS: Make sure you're running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (or newer) - that's also necessary.

Sakkura

Distinguished
Your motherboard has "beta" support for the first generation of FX CPUs, including the FX-6100, FX-8100, FX-8120, and FX-8150. Those CPUs are all technically below the minimum requirements for Oculus, BUT they do have the SSE4.2 instruction set and thus they will work with the Oculus Rift. The performance just won't always be great.

Those CPUs are pretty old by now, so you're going to have a hard time finding one on store shelves for a reasonable price. You could look around for a used one though.

I would consider this a temporary solution though. Sooner or later you'll want to move on from that old motherboard.

PS: Make sure you're running a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (or newer) - that's also necessary.

Solution