Which Macbook should I get?

Trevtheman

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
I'm looking to buy a macbook pro MAINLY for video editing with a sprinkle of running bootcamp and playing some steam games.

I've tried doing my own research but I can't decide if it's worth spending the extra money on the 2016, 15 inch w/ touchbar. Or save a little and get the 2015 version.

Thank you!

Frankie_12

Commendable
Nov 16, 2016
I would not recommend getting a mac for video editing, never mind a mac laptop. You could save a bunch by just gettong a desktop, or if the laptop is important, then get a blade.

Other than the touch bar what's the difference memory, storage and CPU wise between the 2015 and 2016 versions you are looking at buying. Is there any particular reason you want to edit on a MacBook and not a Windows laptop? I understand if you are using Final Cut.

Trevtheman

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014

The place I work at uses macs, so it’s just a lot easier since I’m going to be working there long term, plus I just want a Mac. If been using windows ever since I could use a computer and I just like the simplicity of macs.

Here’s the 2015:
Apple Macbook Pro MJLQ2LL/A 15-inch Laptop (2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Mac OS X) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XZGMBVC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_h.dOzbJDD761M

2016:
Apple 15" MacBook Pro, Retina, Touch Bar, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Space Gray, MPTT2LL/A (Newest Version) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JW8FCF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QbeOzb2BKKFAB

Not sure about the Touch Bar but the CPU is "faster", you get a larger capacity drive, and a dedicated video card on the 2016 model. Personally, I would be a little concerned about trying to edit on a computer that uses solely the Intel Iris Pro Graphics. Just out of curiosity, what editing program will you be using and what type of footage will you be editing (HD, 2K, 4K, or something else)?

Trevtheman

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014

From 1080p and up, and mostly premiere and after effects.

tarq11jon

Prominent
Aug 25, 2017
i would sasy just get a laptop, but if you want a mac, i'm not gonna stop you, but personally i think you should save up and get the pro 2015, i pretty sure it has a faster cpu, and if the O.S runs slow you could upgrade to an ssd, and rams upgrade-able the macbook air 2014 with an intel i5 is also a good choice, like i said before, its also upgrade-able, but i don't know if the macbooks are upgrade-able
anyway, hope i help and hope you happy with you new (or fairly new) macbook :)