Does Windows 10 spy on users?

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I read a web article about Windows 10 spying on users looking for "illegally copied copyrighted material".

Is this true? If so:

- How does it tell the difference between an illegal copy and a legal copy?

- What does it do about what it thinks is an illegal copy?

Solution

I don't own a Facebook account either because I don't trust that my info won't be hacked into, but there's a big difference between that and what Windows 10 does.

The "spying" issue related to Windows has been grossly over exaggerated. There are TIPS online on how to uncheck much of the data it collects.

Put another way, what information do you think is CRITICAL to your privacy that Windows might be collecting?

If you want to be truly...

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, it does not do that.
For other spying on you? It collects some aggregate data. Most of the scare stories you read were focused on the initial Insider Preview.

There are multiple applications that can turn almost all of that OFF for you. Or do it manually.
But all your other methods of communication are far, far worse. Cell phone, Facebook, etc.

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Microsoft has admitted to collecting user browser history along with identifying information - this is for all users and not just for the cloud.

Microsoft also collects information on private virtual networks - the ip addresses (so they are not private).

According to the Patriot Act, the NSA has the right to bulk data collection at any time without any legal process and the NSA has been given the power to have direct connections to the tech companies so that this data collection can occur. This means the NSA is collecting data from Microsoft any time it likes which will be all the time.

Microsoft was the first to volunteer its services for the data collection program run by the NSA called 'Prism' and Microsoft's slogan at the time was 'Your privacy is our priority'. Microsoft has a history of data sharing with the NSA. At the time of the Prism program, there was no Patriot Act and participation was voluntary.

Microsoft collects many times more information than that required for telemetry purposes. All aspects of your file system and system usage can be accessed by Microsoft.

Windows 10 has privacy but not from Microsoft and not from the NSA and who knows who else.

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
There was another rumor at the same time: If Microsoft ever disappeared from the Internet (e.g. an ISIS attack), all Windows 10 computers would quit working because they could not periodically verify that their installations were genuine.

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, they won't.
At absolute worst, they might revert to 'unactivated' status.
Which simply puts a watermark at the bottom right of the screen, and prevents personalization of the Desktop and Taskbar.

I have a Win 10 Pro, running in a VM, completely unactivated, to test this concept.
Installed on Dec 8 2016. Still running just fine.

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

Most of the information supplied is from USA law and from whistle blowers about the conduct of the NSA.

Other information came from an admission from Microsoft in response to a Swiss court case and various statements from Microsoft head managers including the head of German Microsoft. The virtual private network information collected by Microsoft has been reported many times in the media.

Unfortunately, not rumor.

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

When it comes from legal experts from the USA, then yes I believe the legal experts who are quoting USA law directly.

When it comes from a whistle blower who is labeled as a 'traitor', then yes I believe the information being reported is accurate as the person is being labeled as a 'traitor' and this isn't because he is spreading false information.

When it comes from technical writers who have been involved with the development of Windows 10 from the start, then yes I believe the information. According to the Microsoft site they collect:

"Network capabilities and connection data such as the device’s IP address, mobile network (including IMEI and mobile operator) and whether the device is connected to a free or paid network."

The IP address means the Virtual Private Network address (if being used) and this is collected data. This comes from Microsoft and is collected at the basic level of telemetry. Microsoft also collects MAC addresses and if the MAC addresses are being randomized (usually for privacy) (and this also comes directly from the Microsoft site).

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

There is a difference between using the IP address for connection where packets are sent between two destinations and collecting and storing this IP address for persistent storage in a database and calling it telemetry.

There is absolutely no need for the update process to store IP addresses, ever.

Midi-Magic

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
The articles I read were not online. They were in newspapers.

Because of the variety of answers here, I still do not know what to believe. And I don't trust Microsoft anymore, since they tried to upgrade computers without permission.

I also don't have a cell phone or a Facebook account.

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017

The Chinese banned Windows 10 because it contained spyware - that's why Microsoft produced a Windows 10 Chinese Edition with the spyware removed.

The Swiss government took action against Microsoft and Microsoft had to admit that it was collecting user browser history with identifying information attached - the head of German Microsoft stated the same. This was contrary to statements that Microsoft made which stated that all identifying information would be removed (which of course it wasn't).

Microsoft is putting out propaganda and misinformation to mislead people into thinking that black is white but most people aren't buying it - that's why Windows 10 for the desktop has been flat lining for the past several months.

Its obvious that Microsoft is collecting intelligence for the NSA to analyze so they can act on targeted issues. That's why they ported the 'telemetry' back to Windows 7 so they could collect intelligence from everyone they could.

The problem is that anyone with hostile intent and with a decent amount of IT knowledge would stay right away from Windows 10 (and Windows 7 and 8) and stick to an OS which is designed not to be monitored (which exist).

I don't own a Facebook account either because I don't trust that my info won't be hacked into, but there's a big difference between that and what Windows 10 does.

The "spying" issue related to Windows has been grossly over exaggerated. There are TIPS online on how to uncheck much of the data it collects.

Put another way, what information do you think is CRITICAL to your privacy that Windows might be collecting?

If you want to be truly protected then don't use a computer at all. Even LINUX won't help you there since Google Chrome or other browsers will collect browsing data.

*My main concern is my BANKING DATA. I use KEEPASS and told it to generate the longest string that my bank allows (random characters), then I have to open KEEPASS to copy and paste that into the account to login.

I also use a Firefox Nightly version with PRIVACY enabled so it flushes my history etc when I close the browser. Realistically that's about the safest I can keep my bank account.

(Windows would not collect that data, but a hacker could in theory sneak by my antimalware solution and put on a key-logging software or other tool so nothing is 100% protected).

As for the rest of what Windows 10 does I just frankly don't care as I don't see anything critical about the data it collects. Some of it's actually a GOOD IDEA.

For example of good data collection look at NETFLIX. You actually WANT it to know what shows you've watched especially for TV episodes so you start where you left off, and for browsing habits so it can recommend shows (which is similar to monitoring online purchases so they can recommend products you may want to buy).

OTHER:
I should add that enabling SECURE BOOT, if motherboard supports, is a very good idea. It can help prevent some malware that tries to "sneak by" your antivirus on bootup before that antivirus solution has been loaded.

Solution

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
According to Microsoft management, the telemetry from Windows 10 cannot be turned off. Its a simple matter to program a back door in the OS which cannot be affected by any third party software.

The problem with spying on the world is that you don't know where it will stop and what will happen. Google is now creating an employment agency and they will be using the Google information they collected on users to affect people's job chances. In other words, people are going to have their lives seriously affected by this 'telemetry'.

With normal OSs (windows included), you can shutdown the telemetry collected by browsers so they get next to zero information. Google Chrome collects a massive amount of telemetry. Firefox doesn't. The telemetry slurped by cookies, WebRTC, redirects, analytics, referrers can be removed.

KeePass is excellent software but is vulnerable to keyloggers, one of which is inbuilt into Windows 10. It is on by default and supposedly you can turn it off, but I guarantee it can be turned on remotely. Its a major security risk to have a keylogger installed on any OS.

Windows 7 can be excluded from the Windows 10 type telemetry but it is still vulnerable to the deliberate hacking tools designed to access any Windows system. I also assume that Linux systems are vulnerable to the same sort of tools. Linus Torvalds was approached to program a back door into Linux so I wouldn't assume that Linux is a secure OS.

There is one secure OS which is designed not to be monitored, it is specifically designed to have secure browsing, not vulnerable to hacking tools and it is genuinely secure.

jazzy2945

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

There is so much misinformation on the internet, many lies and rumor and innuendo that is very difficult to separate the true vs. the lie.

China is not banning Windows 10 because of spyware. It's banning it because for China is very difficult to break or make illegal copies like they did with Windows XP. It also call protecting the home market. The decide to make their own OS based on Linux, but so far is has not gone no where.

As for the Swiss, what are you lying about? US government is trying to force Microsoft some data from their data center in Switzerland which Microsoft is fighting. The other case Red Hat lost a contract with the Swiss government which decided to use Microsoft.

Spying is not the correct term. Spy is collecting information from you without your knowledge. Microsoft and Google tells you exactly what they are collecting. So for one it is not spying. Two, Microsoft collects data about your computer health and to improve their service. Google collect your information to sell your data to advertisement. Also the IP address can change and change every time you turn off the computer if you are not using a router. It also changes every time you connect your laptop to a different Wi-Fi AP. A router give you and all your connected devices a different IP. But knowing your IP is necessary for all connected devices, PC, laptops, tablets, phones using Wi-Fi, home devices etc.

lianchousin

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
"China is not banning Windows 10 because of spyware."

The Chinese government banned Windows 8 and Windows 10 because of the spyware it contained. Windows 8 and Windows 10 cannot be installed on state owned computers. This is not rumor. This has been reported in numerous news articles.

What you are spreading is rumor. Windows XP is still a supported OS. There are still patches available to anyone who wants to run a secure XP. If Chinese people have gone to the trouble to use a hacked XP, they'll take the trouble to configure the hacked XP to receive updates. Its not difficult to do. Besides this, China doesn't need a Linux OS since Microsoft developed a Windows 10 Chinese Edition with the spyware removed. "Edward Snowden's claims that the Redmond firm worked with the NSA and FBI to help provide them access to Microsoft users' data". You know Edward Snowden. He's the guy that was labeled a traitor for spilling state secrets. People in China are still free to use Windows 10 but why would they bother when they still have Windows XP as a viable OS.

"As for the Swiss, what are you lying about?" This is called factual reporting on world wide issues. You should try reading news articles sometimes. The legal action by the Swiss government was withdrawn because Microsoft informed users as to what it was collecting. This satisfied the Swiss government and they dropped the legal action. This on the public record.

"Spying is not the correct term. Spy is collecting information from you without your knowledge." Spying is the correct term to describe massive amounts of data being taken from user's computers without the user's knowledge of what is actually being taken.

"data about your computer health and to improve their service". User browser history with identifiers isn't 'computer health' and 'improve their service'.

"Google collect your information to sell your data to advertisement." Only if you let Google collect your information. There are ways of disabling this collection of data which obviously you don't know about.

"Also the IP address can change and change every time you turn off the computer if you are not using a router. It also changes every time you connect your laptop to a different Wi-Fi AP."

When you make a connection using IP, the IP addresses don't change - they stay constant during the connection. If they do change during the connection, the connection will crash. Microsoft only needs to make a connection for update using the two IP addresses and then transfer data - it doesn't need under any circumstances to store the IP address in a database, ever. If you knew anything about TCP/IP, you would know that Microsoft does not need to store the information in a persistent database. I use the term TCP/IP to differentiate the IP address from the protocol (I know TCP/IP are two protocols, one's connection, one's transmission).

There would be some individuals who would be happy with Microsoft saving user browser histories with identifiers attached, but probably about 1% of users, the other 99% would see it as blatant violation of their privacy.

Microsoft developed Windows 10 as a marketing tool, not as the OS that users wanted to use. The is a fundamental error. You cannot force users to have their data taken and used as a marketing tool or whatever else Microsoft wants to do with it (including the NSA).

The recent netmarketshare numbers for the desktop usage in August still has Windows 10 flat lining. The first numbers that were released by netmarketshare for August had Windows 10 usage decreasing by 3.6%, Windows 7 usage decreasing by about 1% and Linux increasing by 4.6%. I found these initial numbers difficult to believe because of the abruptness of the changes in just one month.

jdlech

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Anybody who has waded into any major EULA statement know that they reserve the right to give, sell, trade, exchange and pretty do whatever they damned well want to do with all the data they collect from you.
How would you like them selling everything they know about you - including identifying information - to the highest bidder? How would you feel if the highest bidder turned out to be identity thieves?
Think they wouldn't do that? They're just one decision away from it. All it takes is one guy to make one decision and it happens. You trust this total stranger with everything you sent to MS? A lot of people who died in the holocaust trusted their govt. too. A lot of people who died trusting Pol Pot, and Stalin too. The unthinkable happens a lot more often than you want to believe.
Still think giving MS all that information about yourself is a good idea?

I remember back in 2002, before the war. I realized we were getting all our information from one source - our govt. And so I called for people to wait until we get independent confirmation of what we were being told. For my efforts, my fellow Americans started sending me death threats. One wanted to kill my entire family. 3 people tried to dox me; one got as close as the city block on which I lived. This was my fellow Americans doing this. I have no doubt that I would not be alive to write this had my online anonymity been breached. Had any of the forum moderators or administrators decided to dox me, I'd be dead right now.
Still want to send all that information about yourself to people you don't know? All it takes is one stranger to ruin your life, or even get you and your entire family killed.
Just ask any Jew who lived in Germany in 1939. Oops, you can't... they're all dead.

jazzy2945

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Ok, let examine your arguments. Have you heard the expression "the pot calling the kettle black"? That is what China is concerning spying. They spy is constant and they copy everything. Windows XP was the most pirated OS in China. After that, it was hard for them to copy Windows 7,8 and 10. With that in mind, they took Linux (which is free) and made Linux Kylin. They also use for sometime Red Flag Linux. But the people still prefers Windows. There are no patches for Windows XP. It is not supported by Microsoft anymore. When the latest malware, called WannaCry came out, Microsoft made a fix. This was because so many computers with XP were affected. But this was one time deal only.

The Swiss case is because Red Hat Linux issue a protest when the Swiss government selected Windows 10 over Red Hat Linux. The other case was because the US Government wanted to have some e-mails in Microsoft server located in Switzerland and Microsoft was against it. Microsoft won both cases.

All browser save you history and all of them have a way to delete or erase your browsing history, including Edge and Explorer. Want me to show how and highlight your ignorance?

In Google case they always will have a way to collect your information. If you use their search engine or an Android phone, Google Talk or any product from Google they will collect your information and have a complete picture of you.

IP changes. Do your self a favor. Right down the IP address on your laptop. Then go to another place like Starbuck and see the new IP address. If you don't move from your house and use a router. Turn off the router and way for a few minutes. After you turn in, see if the same IP is use? Besides what information can the IP address have about you? Is only the address to your computer. If you are concern about your computer spying on you, then STOP using any computer. Don't use a phone, don't use a smart TV, a tablet, laptop, any electronic device. Because any time you use one, somebody will spy on you. It does not matter if is from Apple, Google, Microsoft, Samsung, LG, etc.

Where do you get the information of Windows 10 percent decreasing? With over 500 million computer using Windows 10 it's growing. As computer starts to break down they are replace by newer computer with Windows 10. More and more companies are starting to replace their old computers, and guess which OS they are selecting. Is not Apple OS X, is not Linux. It's Windows 10!

BTW, what is the marketing tool that Microsoft is using for Windows 10? Please explain that. Apple and Microsoft sells product, be Office, IPhones, Xbox, Cloud Services, computers and laptops, tablets, etc. Google makes money by advertising, by selling your information. The few Chromebook they sell does not make them million of dollars. Ads is where they make money.

If you believe that nonsense of Microsoft working with NSA, then I have a bridge to sell you.