Galaxy tab s3 won't turn off

allanlazarus3

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Tab s3 works ok but won't turn off when the power button is pressed. I tried keeping the power button pressed for over 10 seconds but nothing happens

Solution
It could be a few things. Stuck button that won't power off. Installation of a bad app or downloading a virus or malware. Any of those could cause it. You are, if the button isn't stuck, going to have to wait until it loses power completely and then charge it while off. Do not turn it on normally, but instead turn it on in "Safe Mode" so you can see if it will turn off fine then. If it will, then you have something installed that needs to be removed. Turn it back on in "Safe Mode" again and uninstall anything that you installed, or downloaded, or updated, just prior to the start of the problem. Restart the device to exit "Safe Mode" and if the item(s) removed were the issue, the tablet should work fine.

To get into "Safe Mode" please...
It could be a few things. Stuck button that won't power off. Installation of a bad app or downloading a virus or malware. Any of those could cause it. You are, if the button isn't stuck, going to have to wait until it loses power completely and then charge it while off. Do not turn it on normally, but instead turn it on in "Safe Mode" so you can see if it will turn off fine then. If it will, then you have something installed that needs to be removed. Turn it back on in "Safe Mode" again and uninstall anything that you installed, or downloaded, or updated, just prior to the start of the problem. Restart the device to exit "Safe Mode" and if the item(s) removed were the issue, the tablet should work fine.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Solution

huibvandenoever

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Try to toggle Bluetooth on your tablet:

Wow, mine did not switch off at all. No reaction on the on off switch.
Always thinking of a broken button, but....

I remembered i had a sony headset connected the night before which btw was normally switched off.

Now I switched Bluetooth fully off on the tablet. And solved
Bingo

Later on Bluetooth can be turned on again.

Huib

108greg

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
Also had a problem with my power button not responding at all. Read a post on here about the Bluetooth. I turned off the Bluetooth and moment later the power button started working again. Only thing I use my Bluetooth for is connecting my phone through "Samsung Flow".

Apr 6, 2018
Must be the Bluetooth. My tablet would not turn off. Note, that my Bluetooth WAS turned off....so, thinking it couldn't hurt, I turned Bluetooth ON and then OFF. Sure enough....tablet turned off no problem. Thanks for the insight!