Why is Galaxy S8 $750 from Verizon and $570 from BestBuy?

techsupport3343

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have never purchased an "unlocked" phone before. I've only purchased though my carrier (Verizon). But I'm now looking at purchasing a Samsung Galaxy S8 and it is $756 on Verizon's website, versus just $575 from BestBuy for an unlocked one.

Is there any reason I should buy this phone from Verizon, instead of buying it from BestBuy and getting it activated with my Verizon account to replace my current phone? The only benefit I see is that Verizon offers free financing over 2 years, instead of the upfront purchase.

Thanks

Solution
It depends on how much you want to spend AND if the device you are going to get that is from the other place (not carrier) actually is selling a device that works with that carrier. Just because it is the same model doesn't mean it will. So that is something to make sure of first.

Also, you may want to see what the warranty, both the sellers and manufacturers, is on the device from one and the other. That would make a difference as well.

If the device will work on that carrier (don't ever assume) and the warranty is the same or close, then why pay more?
It depends on how much you want to spend AND if the device you are going to get that is from the other place (not carrier) actually is selling a device that works with that carrier. Just because it is the same model doesn't mean it will. So that is something to make sure of first.

Also, you may want to see what the warranty, both the sellers and manufacturers, is on the device from one and the other. That would make a difference as well.

If the device will work on that carrier (don't ever assume) and the warranty is the same or close, then why pay more?

Solution

boongsong

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
If you go to Samsumg's web site, they have a deal buy one S8 get one free. All you have to do is send in your old "smart" phone. They send you the S8s (or S8+ or mix n match) and you have 15 days to send your old phone in.