Laptop shopping - $1000 - Quality Engineering major

bdawson

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I've suffered long enough. I just finished my Engineering Technology Bachelor's and am going on to a Quality Engineering Master's. I am in the market for a new laptop or 2-in-1. I love the looks of the Spectre x360 dark ash/copper but the i5/8GB/256 is the best that would fit my budget. Obviously cheaper is always better but I'm fairly comfortable up to $1000.

1. What is your budget? $1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13.3"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080 but won't turn away a 4k

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Both. I don't have a desktop so the laptop should be powerful.

5. How much battery life do you need?
8hr+

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No Games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Excel/Powerpoint/maybe some circuit simulation or MatLAB software

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
256GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Best Buy - $100 student discount on some
Newegg
Amazon?

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4years +

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Dell
HP
Acer maybe?
Wouldn't be opposed to Samsung or something. No Mac.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I think I'd like the 7th Gen i5 or i7. I have found the spectre x360 from 2016 with the 6th gen for less than $1000 even with i7/16GB/512SSD. With this big of a purchase though I'm leary of refurbished. I'd also consider the Dell XPS 2-in-1. I do like the idea of Windows Ink so an included active stylus would be nice. Samsung 9 from Best Buy would be at my max of $1000.

Thanks in advance.

bdawson

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
There's also the Dell Inspiron HERE with an i7/12GB/256SSD that would only be $699 with the student discount. I wouldn't be opposed to that but it's just not as sexy as the Spectre x360.

bdawson

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
Any takers?

Would I expect much difference from a 6th gen to a 7th gen i5/i7 processor? Is 7th gen something I should seek out?

I just realized the XPS 2-in-1 is a "Y" series low power processor. Any opinions on avoiding those?