is ransomware removal?

kountrygirl39

Prominent
Aug 9, 2017
My neighbor asked me to look at her computer. It was running extremely slow and acting up and none of her programs will open and she cannot download anything. I tried installing malwarebytes and it would not open for me to install. I tried opening other programs and such that she already had installed on her computer and they too would not open. While I working on her computer she proceeds to tell me that last summer she had a window pop up and would not go away. It told her that windows detected a problem with her system and if she paid they would fix it for her. Not knowing what she was doing she paid it. I believe she was attacked by ransomware. She is afraid that they are going to pop back up and ask for more money. Can I remove this by just re-installing windows or should I wipe her hard drive and then install windows? And, if I hook her hard drive to my computer what do I have to do to mine to protect it from getting the same ransomware?

Solution
A complete Windows reinstall would help you with the issue without a doubt. You can also attempt to remove the ransomware using Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner. But if the files are accessible and whether you can get the back depends on either the people who spread the Ransomware (Rarely they decrypt the files) or try Kaspersky and see if one the decryptors cover the Ransomware that your friend has gotten. Additionally, you could look into removal instructions here.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
A complete Windows reinstall would help you with the issue without a doubt. You can also attempt to remove the ransomware using Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner. But if the files are accessible and whether you can get the back depends on either the people who spread the Ransomware (Rarely they decrypt the files) or try Kaspersky and see if one the decryptors cover the Ransomware that your friend has gotten. Additionally, you could look into removal instructions here.

Solution