Upgrade Erazer X315 for VR, possible?

novasmack

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hello! I am looking into the possibility of getting a VR setup. I am unable to financially purchase or build a new computer at this time, (I'm aware building is best, just cant do it and wont be able anytime soon). Was wondering what the upgrade possibilities for my Erazer x315 are, or if it is even upgradable at all. I know very little about hardware/upgrading etc. Thank you in advance for your help! If I need to post any additional info, let me know. Here are my current specs:

ProcessorAMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G

Video CardAMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics

Video Card #2AMD Radeon R9 255

RAM8.0 GB

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit

Solution
For ideal VR performance you'd have to pretty much start over from scratch. But a simple GPU upgrade would possibly allow decent VR performance in most games; just be aware that some games would be held back by your CPU. Given the marginal performance and your budget constraints, it would be best to get the Oculus Rift, since it's a lot cheaper than the HTC Vive and runs better on weaker PC hardware.

The Erazer X315 supposedly comes with a decent 450W power supply, which would let you upgrade with eg. a GTX 1060 6GB, which would do well for VR (and could be carried over if/when you upgrade the rest of the system). Just make sure the card will physically fit inside the case.

Sakkura

Distinguished
For ideal VR performance you'd have to pretty much start over from scratch. But a simple GPU upgrade would possibly allow decent VR performance in most games; just be aware that some games would be held back by your CPU. Given the marginal performance and your budget constraints, it would be best to get the Oculus Rift, since it's a lot cheaper than the HTC Vive and runs better on weaker PC hardware.

The Erazer X315 supposedly comes with a decent 450W power supply, which would let you upgrade with eg. a GTX 1060 6GB, which would do well for VR (and could be carried over if/when you upgrade the rest of the system). Just make sure the card will physically fit inside the case.

Solution