Sign-In Migration Megathread

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
Hey there Tom's Community people!

In our ongoing efforts to improve cybersecurity, we'll be making changes to the way users sign-in to the forums starting today, August 11th. As such, every one of our users will be logged out of Tom's Guide, and all cookies will expire during the migration.

When the migration takes place, it will mark the beginning of Phase 1 (tentatively scheduled for late this week or early next week Aug 10th-14th). Once it is live, to ensure a seamless transition and to preserve your current password, simply log in to your Tom’s Guide account between now and August 16th. You'll be able to do so by selecting the link in the upper right-hand corner of the site, or by heading to the login page directly once it is live. The new service provides better encryption, so it’s a no-brainer for the security-minded.

Please note that during the migration period, registration and account recovery emails may be delayed by several minutes, so we ask for your patience in this regard. Additionally, please be sure to check your spam folders as sometimes emails end up there.

To sweeten the deal and ensure everyone comes along, we’re running two back to back Summer Giveaways worth thousands of dollars in prizes, including everyone’s favorite new gaming console, the Nintendo Switch, as well as Samsung’s flagship phone, the Galaxy S8. Check this space for forthcoming announcements on a set of spectacular Summer Giveaways!

Cybersecurity is everyone’s responsibility, and we’re taking active steps to safeguard your security and privacy with this change on Tom’s. Thank you in advance for your attention to this!

Please use this mega-thread for any questions or concerns regarding the sign-in service migration and how it can affect your account. Stay tuned for additional details as the timeline for the roll-out of the account migration becomes more clear, as we'll be sharing that with you right here.

Warm Regards,
The Tom’s Community Team

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
Hey there all!

TIP: If you are experiencing difficulty signing in with your username, please try using the email you signed up with instead.

Known/Reported Issues:

• "0AUTH Error: Redirect URL is wrong" issue where this error is received upon attempted login.
• Username and Avatar on article comments and login screen shows email nickname from Google instead of Tom's username and avatar.
• The link to "Comment from the Forums" is missing in article comments from editorial pages.
• Random difficulties signing-in using username and password. (See above tip for workaround.)
• Login issues for Internet Explorer 11, generates a blank screen.

There are naturally a few hiccups with the transition, so we ask your patience in bearing with us as we work out the bumps in this migration. Devs have been notified of these issues and we hope to have them resolved soon.

-JP

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi!
When I have tried clicking on either button 'Log in to Tom's Hardware or Tom's Guide' Or using the in the upper right-hand corner of either Tom's Hardware or Tom's Guide homepage" included in the notification message sent to my email, I see that I was required to login in with my username or email associated. In the past, it was only asked to log in with my username only.
As of now, I can be logging in to my account with either email or username.

Secondly, when I finished logging into my account for the first time with using username, the forum didn't open to me(Tom's Hardware or Tom's Guide homepage didn't open to me). However, I found myself be redirected into be logged in to my MS Hotmail email which is associated with my Tom's Hardware or Tom's Guide forum account.

Finally: do you think Tom's Hardware and Tom's Guide Forums are two different accounts although I can log in to them with the same username or email.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

They should be the same account, although I had a certain bug that wouldn't log me in by using my username on Tom's Guide. My suggestion for you is to log in in using your e-mail on Tom's Guide, rather than your username. Please let us know how it goes.

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
It goes smooth and well. However, you think that sorting the threads notifications followed should be saved in two places, Tom's Guide Forum, and Tom's Hardware Forum as an archive in my outlook account associated with these Tom's accounts in case I want to view the thread followed or created by me?

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. Would you mind clarifying? Not sure I follow you. To my knowledge, e-mail notifications from Tom's Guide and Tom's Hardware come from different sources.

jsimenhoff

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Attention Tom's Guide Members

I am proud to announce the password reset feature is once again available :bounce:

You can now reset your password directly from the new login page/widget. You are no longer able to reset your password from the account settings page.