SkyFlame00

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017
I've been building a PC which will run VR games (using HTC Vive) almost all the time being worked. For now I've got the next configuration below:
CPU: Core i7-7700K. Alternatives: Ryzen 1600X / 1700, Core i7-6700K. I don't know whether to buy separate cooler or only use that given in the BOX edition. What do you think?
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070.
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON. Alternatives: ASRock Z270 Extreme4, ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING, ASUS PRIME Z270-A.
RAM: Kingston HX424C15F*2K2/16. Alternatives: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15, Kingston HX426C15FBK2/16, Patriot Memory PV416G320C6K. I.e. I would the memory to be 16Gb.
PSU: Chieftec CTG-650C 650W. Alternatives: AeroCool VP-650 650W, Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W. Is there any need in using 750W instead?

Are the elements listed compatible? So will such a PC run VR games well?

Sakkura

Distinguished
Bear in mind that some of these CPUs do not come with a cooler, so you'd have to buy one separately. Intel or AMD Ryzen doesn't really matter for VR purposes, but the Ryzen CPUs have a lot more multithreaded power for the money, while the Intel CPUs are a little faster for non-VR games.

SkyFlame00

Prominent
Jul 16, 2017

Thank you! Forgot to say that I haven't chosen mobos for Ryzen yet, only wanted to figure out whether they quite good for being bought.

I read Ryzens are good when it comes to working with soft as graphical/modeling editors etc, especially when they all run together. But they are pretty equal in terms of VR games? Doesn't it mean additional cores are needed more in this situation?

Sakkura

Distinguished

Yeah Ryzen chips are a lot better than comparable priced Intel CPUs for most non-gaming work, and running many things simultaneously only reinforces that.

Current VR games are generally not CPU-intensive, that's all. Even some of AMD's old FX chips technically meet the hardware requirements, though I wouldn't recommend any of them.