Best Cellphone Plans (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizodd

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Republic offers wi-fi only service very cheap.

Their plans may be much cheaper than this review implies--if you spend most of your time in places with wi-fi available.

I first signed with them because I NEED wi-fi access at home as I live in a dead zone. But about the only time I need cell service is for trips.

They also offer the ability to change plans easily if you need more or fewer features.

Unfortunately, they don't yet support the iPhone.

akashra

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015
Is this a review of the worst value for your money plans? Sure looks like it...

Can get the same service as any of these providers for much cheaper on their smaller partner networks. Silly review.

jon.r.barnard

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
You are mixed up about throttling for the unlimited plans: T-Mobile's throttling doesn't start until 50 gb (not 30), and Verizon's starts at 22 gb, not 30. (All of which makes T-Mobile's unlimited plan the even better choice.)

ryan.small

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
What other carriers did you test. I think mine (Ting) beats all the competitors. It's post-pay with no contract. With 4 devices, you could use a monthly aggregate of 2000 minutes, 5000 messages, and 5GB, all for $120.50 before fees/taxes.

They provide credits for referrals.
They have credited us for sim card purchases when we mistakenly ordered the wrong sim or had compatibility issues.
They have always provide super fast service on live chats and support calls.
You can use GSM or CDMA.

I've not been able to find any reasons to switch to any other carrier. You might want to test their service and plans. Thank you!

Mar 6, 2018
I get 5 lines, unlimited talk and text, 5GB per phone for $100/month with Cricket. I switched 3 years ago and LOVE them.

May 27, 2018
Over 55 years old? My T-Mobile "over 55" plan gets unlimited everything for a flat $50 a month (must be set up as auto-pay). Verizon was charging me $72 a month for 0.5 gB.
I asked for a better deal. A 20 year history with Verizon did nothing- Profit trumps loyalty. Of all the carriers , Verizon is consistently the most costly. They offered me the same unlimited package for $70 a month. (oh, plus taxes, etc.). I like like my T-mobile account.

mchan1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2014
Be careful about any 'fees' that are added In Addition to your monthly access fee.
Verizon's $20/m fee is ridiculous as their plans are already considered as one of the Most expensive plans available. Also, you'll need to get a New phone so it won't run on GSM phones.

MetroPCS runs on TMo's backbone and the rates are relatively good esp. if you live/work near many Wifi areas and can get Wifi. That'll help reduce your cellular data usage so you can get their unltd calling/text plans with $30/m plan for 2Gb, $40/m ups the data to 5Gb/m and $50/m Unltd data plan. Best thing is that you can switch between one plan to another to fit your needs.

tharskjold

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
I am very happy with the fact that I have less than 60 days until we are free from Sprint. It has been a 2 year nightmare. Corporate said we could transfer a 3rd phone with the BOGO Free deal, then it didn't work. Called corporate and got a $14 SIM card for it. It still didn't work. Went to the local store verified that phone would never transfer. BOGO is the only reason we are locked in and when we offered to pay for the other phone over the phone with corporate then they said, 'Yes'. Then they charged us for both phones. So to get back in the program we wanted a refund or I would protest through the bank. Instead they said they would apply it to the bills. Weeks later they turned off my phone for non-payment with a $600 balance.
The 1st year I was having to make monthly hour long calls (x11) to correct billing, features or data plan problems. Then 3rd party companies are charging us for services we never signed up for. Sprint doesn't question it gives us grief when we try to get them removed. With the Unlimited data plan they block reception/cellular connection if you have your WiFi on and it sees any WiFi sources. So we have to turn off our WiFi just get usage of the phone. Probably to reduce network sharing costs.
The Sprint forced firmware updates have caused us to call tech support and get technical support because the settings of the update restricted Unlimited usage as part of the update. "It was intentional". The worst cellular company and just a poorly run business overall. If you own stock, Sell, Sell, Sell! Can't wait to go back to AT&T and only left because of the cost of new phones. Never had any problems with AT&T worldwide.

Aug 8, 2018
Not sure why you'd list Republic Wireless as best plan for under $30. Project Fi should get the nod. I've had both services (had RW for couple yrs and now Fi for over year and half) and Fi is better. My monthly bill for Fi is rarely over $24. that gets me the base $20 plan w 1gb of data (of which part is always refunded to me since i don't use much data.) Maybe RW is slightly cheaper per month, but since your dollar amount given is 'Under $30' then you have to go woth Fi, esp since it has access to an additional set of towers (US Cellular) and also has phone support that calls you back within 2 mins anytime you have a porblem (which is rare). You can also use chat or email for support if you prefer. Additionally, the Fi app is puresimplicity and offers complete transparency of your account, incl data useage and days left, etc. This is also where you can add numbers to block. Fi also has automatic VPN that secures any unknown network that the phone attaches to. Lastly, with additon of Moto x4 and the new Moto G6, there are now excellent budget phones from which to use, which can be purchased using interest free payments over 24 months. It's really a no brainer.

Aug 22, 2018
If your family includes adults who are over 55 years old, it may be a better deal to go with T-Mobile's One plan (2 lines, unlimited, auto-pay, for $65/mo, then add the kids in separately).

Status
Not open for further replies.