Dropped iPhone 6, now no headphone or microphone, even after replacing

2002sheds

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Hi All,
I dropped my iPhone 6 one too many times, this time on the corner by the headphone jack. The screen cracked badly, I could no longer get the plug for headphones into the Jack, and worse, the microphone(s) no longer work.
A local shop replaced the screen, but could not locate the exact issue with the microphone. The "speakerphone workaround" does not work, nor does the "memo test" and today I replaced the audio jack/lightning connector assembly with no change. New audio jack does nothing and still no microphone...
The shop that did the screen replacement said that they saw corrosion on the interface/connection point on the motherboard (my kid was using the phone as an iPod and the phone got wet, WAY after the earlier incidents), and that maybe a replacement motherboard might be a way to salvage this phone.
At this point, I am becoming fairly skilled at tear down and re-assembly. I have a replacement motherboard and I am confident in my ability to install it, but I just wonder what other possibilities explain what happened. I also cannot see how a drop on the corner of the phone that clearly knocked out at least two functions (headset, phone microphone) that left clear indications elsewhere would leave no clues, like loose connections, etc.
Ant help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David

2002sheds

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from 2002sheds : "Dropped iPhone 6, now no headphone or microphone, even after replacing"

Hi All,
I dropped my iPhone 6 one too many times, this time on the corner by the headphone jack. The screen cracked badly, I could no longer get the plug for headphones into the Jack, and worse, the microphone(s) no longer work.
A local shop replaced the screen, but could not locate the exact issue with the microphone. The "speakerphone workaround" does not work, nor does the "memo test" and today I replaced the audio jack/lightning connector assembly with no change. New audio jack does nothing and still no microphone...
The shop that did the screen replacement said that they saw corrosion on the interface/connection point on the motherboard (my kid was using the phone as an iPod and the phone got wet, WAY after the earlier incidents), and that maybe a replacement motherboard might be a way to salvage this phone.
At this point, I am becoming fairly skilled at tear down and re-assembly. I have a replacement motherboard and I am confident in my ability to install it, but I just wonder what other possibilities explain what happened. I also cannot see how a drop on the corner of the phone that clearly knocked out at least two functions (headset, phone microphone) that left clear indications elsewhere would leave no clues, like loose connections, etc.
Ant help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
David