Decent VR Build?

RadDad36

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Hello Everyone, I am looking at building my son a gaming pc. He wants to use VR on it as well. I put together this build list but am a little shocked at the price. That being said I definitely don't want to buy minimum requirements. I would like to ensure his pc is a great quality for the next few years. Is this a good build and is there anywhere I might be way out of line and could do better? Please help and Thank you in advance!!!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XhTB3F

Solution
VR doesn't benefit from having two graphics cards at all, and even in normal games it's rarely worth it. You can easily dump one of the GTX 1080s to bring the price down by over $500. Then you can also drop to a lower wattage power supply, saving a bit more.

The rest of the components can also be done cheaper without really losing any noticeable performance.

One thing I would spend MORE on though, is adding an SSD to the system.

Edit: Assuming you prefer buying through Amazon, I would suggest something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler...

Sakkura

Distinguished
VR doesn't benefit from having two graphics cards at all, and even in normal games it's rarely worth it. You can easily dump one of the GTX 1080s to bring the price down by over $500. Then you can also drop to a lower wattage power supply, saving a bit more.

The rest of the components can also be done cheaper without really losing any noticeable performance.

One thing I would spend MORE on though, is adding an SSD to the system.

Edit: Assuming you prefer buying through Amazon, I would suggest something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SanDisk - Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($529.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - Crystal 460X ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1523.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-07 09:01 EDT-0400

Solution

TRENDING THREADS