Why won't my data load to sd card automaticly?

Copelynn

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I have Samsung Galaxy Tab A with only 8gb. So I bought a Samsung 64gb sd card. The Galaxy will not write direct to sd card. I have no available memory in the 8 gb. System operations are acting strangely. I need some guidance.

Solution
First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and...
First, you need to be using a tablet that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" (or newer) or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your tablet, or they don't work for you, then you have a tablet that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the tablet, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution

Copelynn

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
I apologize, my health has made it impossible to respond until now. I read your solution and I am sure it works great as a solution to "converting a SD Card from and external storage device tI an internal storage device". I would guess like swapping out a HD on a desktop, but that is NOT quite my question. I want only data ( and by the way a few of my APPS have been transferred to the SD Card) to write to the SD Card. I do not want to spend hours every week doing maintenance in the formation of manually moving the data files on every APP from phone to SD Card. I need a "File Manager" that will do it for me.

I know of no one that will do it for you. Not on an Android device.

If your device will allow you to set it up as "Internal" and move the apps to the SD card, then the most you could do is set your updates (from google play) to auto install, rather than ask you to install. This should allow you to leave the apps on the card and run them from there.

In regard to files other than apps, you don't need to change the card for it to hold files, only apps. Now if you are just wanting to keep things like videos, photos, etc., on the card (again not apps) you then do not need to convert it to "Internal" storage. You just need to set up whatever app you are getting or creating the files through to save them to the card rather than the device itself. However, it would only save the files if you set it up that way. So say in the camera app, you would have to set it up to save new images taken to be saved to the card. The same goes for any other app.

The only problem is it would not allow ALL data to be saved to the card. Say your text messages, if you don't delete them as some people don't, then those are on the device. They can't be set up to keep it all on the card. The same goes for things like caches, histories, etc., for apps on the tablet. They would save their data to the device.