Looking into new gaming laptop (form filled, laptop newbie)

gavine93

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
1. Less than 2000$ obviously lower the better, but I would like a quality laptop.

2. 15 to 17"

3. 1920x1080

4. Both. Used for a variety of different things, but I want it to function well gaming.

5. Around 5 hours would be fine, will be plugged in quite a bit, but I don't want it to be rooted.

6. I would like to be able to play games such as Battlefield 1and other higher functioning type games on a high setting. 60 fps and 1080p have been off limits to me with every computer/laptop I have owned, so I am really aiming to be able to actually play current gen games, and with these settings.

7. Microsoft office, possibly video editing, general laptop functions

8. 1TB I will never fill, but would like to have.

9. Newegg, eBay (don't have experience outside of eBay I'm afraid).

10. 3 to 5 years

11. Blu ray ROM/DVD writer would be bonus but not absolutely necessary

12. No experience with brands outside Dell, but I do not plan on buying another Dell.

13. United States

14. Upgrading from my first laptop that has failing memory and hd problems that currently makes it unusable. Wasn't ever really able to play higher functioning games. specs from the box:
Dell 17R with I7-3632QM
Quad core 2.2GHz, 6mb cache
8gb memory
1tb hd
1gb Nvidia GeForce GT 630M
17.3" screen
Windows 8

I have little experience with high quality laptops unfortunately. Looking through this site, the Acer 17 predator in the best of 2017 looks nice, and I like the 17 inch screen. I have quite a bit of research to do to understand anything outside i7 processors being good, 8 to 16gb memory, and 1tb hard drive but I would love more experienced point of views. Long run this is a fill in for a desktop I would like to build one daughter more research and understanding, but as of the foreseeable future I will be going with a laptop.

Thank you to anyone who has any insight and advice.

For $2,000 you can basically get a laptop with a GTX 1060 or GTX 1070. The GTX 1080 is in more expensive laptops. Obviously the GTX 1070 is more power of the two. However, all the laptops I am aware of with the GTX 1070 has a G-Sync screen which basically adjusts the screen's refresh rate to match the FPS of the game; up to 120Hz (120 FPS). That should make the game feel more smooth.

The issue with G-Sync screens though is that it requires the GTX 1070 to be active all the time. Thus, the laptop will never use the Intel HD graphics core to reduce power consumption even when typing a document in Word. That means shorter battery life; I would say no more than 4 hours for a 15" laptop and 3 hours for a 17" laptop; but that is a guess and it also depends on the capacity of the battery. There are some gaming laptops with small batteries to cut down on size and weight. 15" laptops generally have longer battery life than 17" laptops.

gavine93

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
On mobile so I'm not able to reply, but I was looking into something with gtx1070, and an i7 7700hq. The Msi gt2vr seems to be a decent choice, and apparently msi has better cooling than acers predator 17 g9-793-79v5. Is that something either of you would recommend, or could I do better for the money, or just spend less and get something just a little worse?

If the MSI GT2VR runs cooler than the Acer Predator, then I would definitely gravitate towards that laptop if all else is equal. Heat is the worst enemy of a laptop. Excessive heat will cause both CPU and GPU to throttle down... probably to the point where performance will be like that of the nVidia 940mx.

Click the following link which will lead you to a comparison of the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 on Notebookchec.net (the actual address is very, very long). Special note... If Sims 4 is the primary game you want to play then get the GTX 1060 since apparently it gets a few more FPS in that game than the more powerful GTX 1070. Go figure...

https://tinyurl.com/ydy4dlwb