Yamaha RX-V1 for 2 channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Hi all... I am hoping to find some advice on an older receiver.

I have recently inherited a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver. I have spent the last few days trying to set it up.

I really did not need a home theatre system but I just could not pass this receiver up!

What I am trying to do is use it as a 2 channel amp for my 15" Cerwin Vegas that i have sitting around.

I have tried to go through all the "on-screen" menus for setting the size of speakers and so forth (Large Main, no sub, no centre, etc..), but I just cannot get the right sound. It always sounds very distant and echoing. Bass is almost non existant.

I have the speakers connected to the Speaker 'A' system on the lower back of the receiver. I am convinced that there is a feature buried in the menu somewhere that I am missing that will bring the sound to normal. What I have also noticed is that the 'base' 'treble' and 'balance' knobs at the front of the receiver don't effect anything when turned. Maybe something is set to eliminate these adjustment knobs?

Please help....

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Hi

So far I have tried to listen to the Tuner and also connected an Ipod Classic via RCA cables to the front "Video-Audio IN" or the "DVD-audio" port on the back. Both sound the same, both are set to "analogue".

You absolutely sure the speakers are connected correctly?

Do those speakers have seperate inputs for mid/tweeter & base cones ??
If so are you bi-wiring or using single cable & jumpers ??

Are you absolutely certain you don't have a DSP mode enabled on the amp ??
You picked one of the most technically oriented old receivers around there - the options on that thing are mind boggling !!!

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Yes the speakers are connected correctly. I am using banana plugs for both. No, the speakers do not have separates, just the one set of posts.

So far I have not figured out how to turn of "DSP". I do see it in the receiver display.

And.... yes I agree. This thing is a monster in both size and options...

Buttons on the front

Bass extension - have it on (pushed in)
Processor direct - have it off (button should be out)

Does this give you more bass and/or enable the bass treble dials ??

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
I believe I have done all that you guys have stated.

- bass extension is on
- "Direct" is on (no effects of Jazz, Pop, Gymnasium...or whatever....
- No, this does not allow the bass, treble and balance knobs to take effect
- there is an "effect" button. it is in the off position as well

My speakers are set to "Large" (although is there a difference between "Main" and "Front" I see the manual refers to this as well)

I do have a copy of the Manual but so far I cannot find how to turn off "DSP" (if that is the problem)

The processor direct - button next to bass extension needs to be off - just confirm ??

Yes main & front are different - that reciever supports an extra pair of raised fronts.

Front,centre,rear - all need to be disabled.

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Yes, I believe Processor Direct is off. ( I will confirm it though)

Regarding Main and Front, if I scroll through the Menu for the speaker sizes I dont see one for Main. only Fronts. This is what I am setting as Large.

NO then mate ,this is wrong.

Disable the fronts.

look at manual page 41.
You need to open the 'set' menu

you want 'main sp' Large
'Subwoofer' - main

everything else - none

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
I got it working now, thanks. Must have been doing something wrong up to now because I am not sure how it worked. Now the bas treble and balance work.

Any way seems there is a different problem now. The right channel is low and static. Hardly here the music. I tried both Main speakers A and B and same problem.

giovanni1

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
just an update....

After trying a few things last night I gave the receiver a few taps on the sides and on the top. I noticed a better sound. So I tapped again and the sound came back to normal. I am afraid that the right channel is on its way out.

Why would tapping the sides of the receiver make the sound come back??

Loose connection ?? Who knows.

Had an old pioneer that lost sound when using bass treble.

Try switching the receiver off , then changing the impedance switch on the back.

May do nothing but doesn't hurt to try , ones runs 4 ohm main , the other runs 8, think your speakers are 6ohm so not going to hurt anything.

Possibly just a loose connection to the speaker breakout panel.

I'd be opening it up personally but then again I like to tinker.

If you do decide to have a look them be very very careful around the internal transformer & main coil.
Its a 1980's unit & is likely to hold a big transient charge for a fair period of time after powering off.

Status
Not open for further replies.