Adoptable SD card but still internal memory is being used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladimir_18

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hi,

I hope someone can help.
Probably I totally misunderstand SD card concept and usage.
I configured adoptable SD card, moved space intensive apps on that like Tidal with offline music available. My problem is I'm running out of space, in spite of my efforts to use SD card for these purpose, using that as adoptable memory.

How is the attached situation possible? As I understand it says I'm using only 527 MB on SD.
And it also says out of that 527MB, nearly 7GB is used for apps...
That 7GB in reality seems to be stored on internal memory instead of SD, so I'm running out of space.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxVA8K6Dq0aLVF9ydEZfMmZpUFk/view?usp=sharing

Solution
That would be because unless you do certain things (and if your device allows for the changes) most apps must run off the "Internal" storage and can not run from a card which is "External" storage, unless, again the changes are made. The following is how to do it. If it can be done on your device. Some can't.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android...
That would be because unless you do certain things (and if your device allows for the changes) most apps must run off the "Internal" storage and can not run from a card which is "External" storage, unless, again the changes are made. The following is how to do it. If it can be done on your device. Some can't.

First, you need to be using a phone that is running at least Android "Marshmallow" or be able to upgrade to it. Second, you will need the instructions I am including below. And third, you need a phone that has not been restricted by the manufacturer from making this change. Which does happen.

NOTE: If any of the steps are missing on your phone, or they don't work for you, then you have a phone that either has an older Android version or has been restricted by the manufacturer.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

How to turn the "External" SD card into "Internal" storage on "Nougat".

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure you start with a blank SD card. When the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device), so anything on it prior would be gone.

1. Go to "Settings", and then select "Storage & USB".
2. At the bottom of the list you should see the SD card's details, including the option to format it and make it "Internal" storage.
3. Once this is done, reboot the device and you can start running things from the card.

If you don't reboot the phone, some things may not work correctly, so make sure you do the reboot.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.