Solved! Chrome locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
You usually can't uninstall Chrome from an Android device because, since both the OS & Chrome are made by Google, it's pre-installed & tied to the OS. However, you can uninstall Chrome updates to revert to the original version, that may fix it.

But I took a different route - - I installed Firefox and I use that instead because I much prefer it. Chrome is too heavy on resource usage.
Well, you can try just restarting the phone. If that doesn't help, check both the phone itself and also the Chrome app for updates. Should that even not work, I would start to wonder if there is something on the device that shouldn't be (virus, malware, bad app, etc.). Try checking for all that and if anything is found fix and/or remove it.

Once that is all done, if you are still having issues, you may need to uninstall the Chrome app. Not shut it down or delete the icon but completely uninstall it, then restart the phone and download and install the app from Google Play Store.

hdleeds

Prominent
May 27, 2017

You usually can't uninstall Chrome from an Android device because, since both the OS & Chrome are made by Google, it's pre-installed & tied to the OS. However, you can uninstall Chrome updates to revert to the original version, that may fix it.

But I took a different route - - I installed Firefox and I use that instead because I much prefer it. Chrome is too heavy on resource usage.

Solution

hdleeds

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Thank you for your quick and thoughtful solution. I have tried a few of them already. I need to get the anti-virus part of the free version I have. And I was browsing issues (such as saving bookmarks) that scared me away from removing the app and replacing it. Now I feel confident attacking the problem with your advice and the information to deal with the unintended consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.