Solved! How to Back Up and Restore Android System

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Hi,

I recently purchased a new smart cellphone.
My Smart cellphone model number is: LT_M5_lite
Android version: 5.1
Build number:
SW Version: LT_M5_lite_0205_V5772
HW Version: LT_M5_lite_Mainboard_P2

Hardware information as follows:
CPU model: AArch64 processor rev 3(aarch64)
Number of CPU cores: Quad-core
CPU frequency: 1300Mhz
ROM: 16.00GB
RAM: 2.00GB
Phone capacity is: 16GB, and SD Capacity is: 16GB
Screen resolution: 720*1280
Screen size: 5.0 Inch

I have read this comment below posted in How to Back Up and Restore Android System? So, I got hesitated to proceed with what was said there about How to Back Up and Restore Android System.

DONT TRY ANYTHING YOURSELF, IF YOU ARE FACING ANY SOFTWARE ISSUE THEN TAKE YOUR DEVICE TO YOUR NEAREST SERVICE CENTRE, THE ABOVE METHODS ARE ALL TRICKS AND NOT GUARANEED. I HAVE LOST 2 ANDROID DEVICES BECAUSE OF TRYING THESE TRICKS. IF ANYTHING HAPPENS THEN THE SERVICE CENTRE PEOPLE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE. AND THESE HANDSETS DOES NOT COME CHEAP. SO BE CAREFUL. READ COMMENTS OF OTHER PEOPLE FIRST BEFORE FLASHING ANY ROM. WITHIN SECONDS YOUR DEVICE WILL BECOME DEAD. AND YOU WILL BE BRICKING YOUR COSTLY MOBILE PHONE. I AM CRYING OF WHY I TRIED THESE TRICKS. SERVICE CENTRE PEOPLE JUST CHARGE 200-300 RUPEES FOR FLASHING THE ROM. ITS BETTER TO TAKE IT THERE. THIS IS MY ADVICE. REST IS YOUR WISH. ANDROID MOBILES ARE VERY COMPLICATED. IT IS NOT LIKE YOUR WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM THAT GETS INSTALLED IN VERY PHONES AND DEVICES. ONE SMALL MISTAKE AND YOUR DEVICE WILL BECOME DEAD IN A SECOND.

Solution
why do you want to restore your new smartphone?

backups, from where? what backups

if your backups are pictures, mp3 and videos, copy them to the new smartphone, if the backups are configs and apps from a old smartphone, is always a good thing not to migrate old configs and apps that might not work well on a new android version

about a service centre asking for money, that is only done when you mess up the hone out of the warranty, when the phone is out of warranty and you need to update the firmware, the rom, you can do it by yourself, but i must be honest, on almost all phones, there is no need, ever to do that

the only cases where i have seen that you need those services is on cheap bad quality phones, that you shouldn't buy...

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
why do you want to restore your new smartphone?

backups, from where? what backups

if your backups are pictures, mp3 and videos, copy them to the new smartphone, if the backups are configs and apps from a old smartphone, is always a good thing not to migrate old configs and apps that might not work well on a new android version

about a service centre asking for money, that is only done when you mess up the hone out of the warranty, when the phone is out of warranty and you need to update the firmware, the rom, you can do it by yourself, but i must be honest, on almost all phones, there is no need, ever to do that

the only cases where i have seen that you need those services is on cheap bad quality phones, that you shouldn't buy because, well, they can fail in many ways, in hardware or software

Solution

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Thanks a lot,
Usually, I will want to restore my Android system in these two situations.

Situation One: Restore System

Sometimes, I upgrade my Android OS to the latest but find that I am not satisfied or accustomed to the new features. So, if I have a system backup file before, I can easily restore the device to previous system. The specific steps can be read below:
Step 1: Hold "Volume + and –" and "Power" buttons together, or try Room Manager and other software to get in the Recovery Mode on my Android.
Step 2: Scroll down to the "Backup & Restore" option and tap on it. Choose "Backup" then. The whole Android system is backed up immediately and the backup file will be saved on "clockworkmod" fold of your SD card.
Step 3: Return to the Recovery interface and select "Nandroid" < "Restore". (I can use "Volume +/-" key to choose the wanted option and "Power" button to confirm). After recovery, my Android will be as the same as before.

Situation Two: Just Restore all Apps::::

Actually, I just want to recover all app installed before on the device? It will be time-wasting and annoying to download and reinstall them one by one. Here I will use Titanium Backup Pro for Android to backup mt=y applications in easy ways before I update Android system, and then, restore apps later.
Step 1: Install and run Titanium Backup Pro for Android on my device. Open "Menu" option then.
Step 2: Tap on "Batch Actions" in the list.

mamasan2000

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Generally you need to unlock bootloader AND root your phone to do anything.
twrp is one solution to make backups. https://twrp.me/ EDIT: I see you have clockworkmod. Works fine too.
Before you flash anything, get an image from the manufacturer of your phone which you can flash when all else fails so you have something to fall back on. It's called 'Stock firmware rom'. After that, start looking at ROMs you might want to install.
Read up on the process so you know exactly how to do it.
Yes, there is a risk of bricking your phone. I once was very close but managed to find some engineer-level tool with which I blindly flashed a stock rom and luckily my phone booted again. Screen didn't want to even turn on before that.
You have been warned.

I have flashed my 2 phones numerous times, I enjoy it.

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Thanks a lot,
Then why do you warn me while you suggest twrp for me? I really think that the process would be like Windows Systems on PC or Notebook. I am familiar with making a system backup and restore them on my Windows System Notebooks. However, I have never ever tried backing Android phones and restore them from the system mages.

mamasan2000

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I warn you because it is risky. You CAN loose your backup. What do you do when you can't boot into recovery mode?
When you can't turn on your phone and Clockworkmod is of no use?
That is a very real risk. Which is why I only have cheap phones which I don't really rely on.

My computer turns on just fine even if Windows gets deleted. Imagine if it didn't. That is the difference. You can't brick a PC by installing Windows or other OS. You CAN brick a smartphone.

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Thanks a lot,
When I have made a backup for my Android by that program suggested by you, then how to restore my Android phone from that backup file. I can restart my Android phone, and boot to that backup file or how to do. could you please be a little bit more detailed?

What do you mean with "You can't brick a PC by installing Windows or other OS. You CAN brick a smartphone." I don't understand 'brick' as a verb. It is only a noun.

My smartphone cost about $120

Windows_Geek

Prominent
May 21, 2017
There is no way you could do it unless if you are using custom recovery on it. I have used TWRP and its capable of backup and restoring the complete image and even of your apps. Installing custom recovery means that void of your warranty, so make sure you know what is happening if you decide to go with it.

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

There is no warranty for my Android mobile phone. However, I, myself, don't want to damage my phone if I did incorrect way of backing up for my entire Android system by using TWRP or of restoring from the complete image to be created by TWRP.

So, could you kindly address these points for me to deiced whether to go to backup my Android System using TWRP, and then formatting my mobile phone, and restoring the complete image using TWRP?
1- The TWRP will let me save the backup into SD or even on a USB flash drive if one is connect to my Phone via USB port.

2- I can restore the complete image using the same TWRP?

3- I can restore the complete image to my existing Android System using TWRP by restating my Android Phone and booting from Android Boot menu options sine if I tried restoring the image while Android system drive is in use, the restore cannot continue

4- What do you mean with custom recovery?

5- If I've made a full image for my entire Android system using the TWRP, then all my stuff(Android system, Apps, contacts, settings, user data. etc.) will be backed up into the backup file

6- The program TWRP will let me select what kind of backup will be created, full, differential, incremental?

a cooperator

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Could you please reply to my reply posted before?