Unsure if worth the upgrade

jollyo55

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I've got a bit of a dillemma with regards to whether I should be looking for an upgrade or not, and if so, where.
My current setup, as it stands, is: 15.6" Asus N56VB, i7 3630QM, 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600, Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 + dedicated GeForce 740M, 1 250GB Crucial SSD + 1 500GB Samsung Evo SSD (DVD-RW expansion caddy).

Now, I am still happy with the specs and performance of the machine, but due to lack of desk space, I am looking at a few options for either convertibles (such as the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, Inspiron 15 2-in-1, Yoga, Asus Spectre x360 etc.) or 13" ultrabooks.

Ideally I could use both my notebook and secondary display with a convertible by sliding it under my monitor riser; I'd then also be able to use my own keyboard/mouse while still being able to rest my hands on the desk. Currently I have to just "hover them over the keyboard" while using the Asus, or I can go single-display with my secondary monitor,which is not ideal.

Coming back to the notebooks themselves, based on the specs and bechmarks of these machines, there is very little if any choice for me for something that I would consider an upgrade. Most of these convertibles go up to an i7-7500U which is a 4MB cache dual-core CPU, and that feels like an issue for me. I am a software engineer and do some video editing on the side, so I like to have quite a lot of resource to play with. Most of the specs I actually like (i7-7700HQ, GT1050 Ti +, 16/32GB DDR4) are mainly found in 15" classic clamshell laptops, but that would get me back to the first issue of space. I would also be fine with a Broadwell/Skylake CPU but again, machines with the kinds of specs that I like are pretty bulky and aimed at passionate gamers.

I also haven't found any places that do custom 2-in-1 machines, probably because those machines are mainly aimed at gamers and they would probably not go for a convertible in the first place, or probably because there aren't any convertible chassis going around.

Price is not necessarily an issue but I'd rather not pay 2-3k for something that isn't a better version of what I've got. I would also look towards a NUC and a weaker machine for portability, but I'd rather exhaust all other avenues first.

Have you thought of increasing your desk space instead of spending money on a laptop that won't be a big step over yours? A larger disk is a lot cheaper than a new laptop. Instead of a monitor riser you can get a floating arm to full remove the monitor footprint off the desk https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B21TLQU/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw_bXCbiV_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=056REX33KSQ7FBF72M3A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1885558c-c29e-5472-a34e-d47724ca0704&pf_rd_i=490624011

jollyo55

Prominent
May 10, 2017

I have thought about it, however the desk itself is the biggest size it can be in the only space in the flat where a desk can fit, so I'm a bit stuck on that department. Regarding using the floating arm, there is a wall right behind (and around) the desk which would kind of impede the use of an arm, at least the ones I've seen. I also can't wall mount the monitor as I'm renting and not allowed to drill holes. :??: