RaidHobbit

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
My rig:

i5-4690
8GB Ram
GeForce 970
Win 10

I am looking at options for Virtual Reality. My game room is small so that makes me think the Vive would just be a waste (not to mention expensive). That narrows it down to Oculus Rift, PS4 VR (I suspect this would be redundant when the PS5 comes out so I'm not 100% on this one) or an alterative.

I have noticed the Chinese company Pimax has a 4k (2 x 2k) VR headset for £300 or a 8k (2 x 4k) for £800. Neither have controllers or a movement tracker bar. Just the senses in its visor. So are these needed? It is SteamVR and Oculus compatible.

Are there another others that are good but which arent heavily promoted in internet articles?

Solution
The lack of positional tracking is pretty bad.

If you want a cheaper entry point to VR than the Oculus Rift and Playstation VR, better to wait for upcoming headsets. Microsoft has some partnered headsets on the way, claiming prices as low as $299; though it's unclear how good those cheapest headsets will be. LG also has a SteamVR headset in development, basically like a Vive competitor/upgrade.

Sakkura

Distinguished
The lack of positional tracking is pretty bad.

If you want a cheaper entry point to VR than the Oculus Rift and Playstation VR, better to wait for upcoming headsets. Microsoft has some partnered headsets on the way, claiming prices as low as $299; though it's unclear how good those cheapest headsets will be. LG also has a SteamVR headset in development, basically like a Vive competitor/upgrade.

Solution