How can I automate my existing home?

Pratyay67

Estimable
Aug 27, 2014
I had no plans for home automation, and the electrical work was done accordingly. But now it seems I've changed my mind and I want to incorporate automation in my home.
While most of the wireless systems around today require power outlets to work (where a compatible device fits in and controls the appliance attached to it), my house has a few devices that attach to power outlets, especially the lights.
It has an overhead lighting system, the fixtures are ceiling mounted, and the connection is directly to a switch on the switchboards. Other appliances like TVs, computers, refrigerators and ACs connect to power outlets and can be done that way.

So, in this scenario, what would be my best bet for automation. I really want voice-automation with either of Amazon Echo or Google Home.

Solution
If you're looking for voice-activated home automation, one of the writers did a 'Help Me, Tom's Guide!' piece about the difference between Google Home and Alexa, check it out here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/should-i-get-amazon-echo-google-home,review-4301.html

My partner handles the home automation in our apartment. He chose Alexa when it first came out since he already had a Prime account. It works well with the Phillips Hue program and he also got a motion detector for the hallway, so we would have to walk all the way to the door just to turn the lights on. We've talked about the security camera, but we haven't decided on one yet.

Hope that helps!

Graybush

Estimable
If you're looking for voice-activated home automation, one of the writers did a 'Help Me, Tom's Guide!' piece about the difference between Google Home and Alexa, check it out here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/should-i-get-amazon-echo-google-home,review-4301.html

My partner handles the home automation in our apartment. He chose Alexa when it first came out since he already had a Prime account. It works well with the Phillips Hue program and he also got a motion detector for the hallway, so we would have to walk all the way to the door just to turn the lights on. We've talked about the security camera, but we haven't decided on one yet.

Hope that helps!

Solution