Reliable Travel Laptop

Mysteerie

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I'm looking for a good laptop that will be traveling around the world.

Reliability and built well is priority and mainly used for work (so outlook, etc...). Maybe, some light to medium gaming but that is less of a priority.

Looking for 15 inch screens, SSD (or HD that is easily replaced by my own SSD).

What brands (or if you have a specific model) should be I looking at?

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Your approximate budget it required for us to answer the question to your satisfaction.
Also how long you plan to use. (If more than 3 year I generally recommend Business Laptops cause those things are built like a brick)

Mysteerie

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
$750 to $1500 would probably be my budget. However, it's not set in stone and of course the lower the better.

Longevity would be a year or two.

Do you have any brands I should be looking at for business laptops?
As for consumer laptops, what are generally the better brands?

shwetanshu

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Business laptops are recommended when you want laptops that are built to last, can take abuses, generally have a better keyboard, more navigation options. Swappable battery and an extended life span with parts availability. The Price Delta is generally 100-300$ between similar specd consumer and business notebooks. If you want a good keyboard, Lenovo Thinkpads set the standard.

If you look at consumer lever, Asus UX390 would be a good choice. You can also look for UX330 if you want something for less. Both are beautifully designed and are really light. Also, they used to have Global Warranty (Check up on that not sure if they still have. Varies from model to model and retailer to retailer). They are 12.5 and 15 inch respectively though.

Another nice laptop would be Dell XPS 15. In 15 inch screen, they are excellent. Take a look at them. Bit expensive, though.

In business laptops, you can look at Lenovo X1 Carbon. Slightly cheaper would be T460 series (Although T470 series is about to launch). They have excellent keyboards (I am using an older model right now).

I did not have much time otherwise would have found you the laptop, but I hope it is enough to give you an idea. I infer you would want global 24*7 support and warranty, an excellent keyboard and touchpad with superb keys, a good battery life,fast charging and nice screen.

I generally recommend ThinkPad laptops because they are semi-rugged meaning they have met or exceeded the Dept of Defense's MIL-Spec (military specifications) requirements for electronics to survive rough handling in harsh environments. That includes being dropped from about 5 feet on to a hard surface and water spilled on the keyboard which has drain holes and is isolated from the rest of the laptop.

Specifically I recommend the T series since I have used them before. The first laptop I bought for myself was the ThinkPad T40 from 2003. It still functions today, but the almost 14 year old single core CPU (Pentium M) is too weak even to be used for web surfing.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/