Can't seem to get 5.1 audio out of my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallicmaggot

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Alright, so I got a new Denon AVR x2300W and fixed it all up with the following :

1. Front Towers + Center + Rear Bookshelves (Connected on Surround L/R, instead of surround back L/R).
2. The Receiver is getting fed through the HDMI port on my graphic card (PC) - Zotac GeForce GTX 970.
3. The receiver is then connected to my monitor.

Now while setting up:

1. All speakers tested perfect.
2. Audessey setup worked fantastic. Room corrections made and all works.

Now I fire up the PC and problems start:

1. All media is running on "Stereo" by Default.
2. The 'surround speakers' are not working even when I activate the surround mode. Only FL/FR/C work in this setup.

To resolve this, I went to PC settings and tried to change the playback device settings, this is what I can see:
1. In playback devices, instead of NVIDIA HDMI output being selected as Default device, I see Denon AVR C as the default device, NVIDIA HDMI output doesn't even show as plugged in.
2. Changing the setting of the default device to 5.1, I still get the same result.

I have tried to make some changes in the receiver too, still nothing seems to be working, 5.1 channel audio, games, whatever I play, the result remains the same. Please please please help!

i run an avr with a pc in pc->avr->tv format as well and the avr showing up as the default device is correct. generally either it or hdmi output will be listed as the default device when connecting.

there are often two settings in windows sound playback devices for 5.1. one is for surround speakers, one is for rear speakers. check that you have it set to the correct version.

you might wnt to test if everything works correctly when set to rear and wired to rear not surround.

i have certainly noticed that not all games like running in surround mode instead of rear mode as i have come across no sound on rears off and on when i played with using surrounds. are those games 7.1 capable? if not, perhaps that is where the problem lies. i keep mine set on rear myself

metallicmaggot

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Hey,

Thanks a ton! I seem to have made some stupid mistake while going thru the menu. I re-did the audessey room correction and everything now works like a charm!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.