Gear VR Virtual Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtuite

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
The long and short is I am extremely ADHD and work in a cube farm where they've placed me in grand central station and want to consider moving an absolute last resort. One option I suggested and management is willing to consider is using a VR headset during times when I need to focus. I may be a pilot for this, as they suggested others may benefit if it works well and is helpful.

My first thought is something like Kinoni or Trinus to stream my desktop to my S7 Edge/Gear VR. But with apps like Space or Virtual Desktop, I wonder what the possibilities are. I haven't really tested any of these yet, as I'm trying to save some time by asking the community if anyone has actually done this, and what their experiences were. Particularly if you've done this with business class hardware (my work machine is an HP 840 G2) and if performance while using productivity software was acceptable.

Thanks for your time!

Solution
"Virtual Desktop"
I have used Virtual Desktop and I've used it a lot with my Oculus Rift.
It works great and I haven't found anything you can't do using that instead of a monitor.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
There was some software company working on VR/AR stuff where they would virtualize your keyboard in VR using a webcam.
You may want to experiment with that.

Here is your main problem.. you need a gaming PC to run VR to any degree of comfort.
So, if you have a provided work computer, there is no way you will get a Rift or Vive to work.

To push on that point.. I just looked up the HP 840 G2. It is a work laptop.
There is no way you can run VR with that sucker.

Your best option is buying some really nice padded headphones. (or switch jobs.)

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006

He was talking about using his Gear VR not a PC VR system.
"Kinoni or Trinus to stream my desktop to my S7 Edge/Gear VR"
I've never done this as I do not have a Gear VR. The Oculus Rift connects directly to the computer so streaming a desktop using a third party software is not necessary. He is right though, for a Rift or Vive, your work PC is unlikely to have the strength to lift such a heavy load. The streaming idea might work but may not work as well as a VR system connected directly to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.