how do i transfer previous sd card to new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

LettuceCats

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
I did a search and the results opened this up so I guess the answer is not already solved.
I got a new phone and put my old sd card in it. Then it says on notifications "SD Card, Tap here to transfer media files."

I press that and I see the general folders from the sd card, they are Android, DCIM, Lost.dir
How do I transfer them to the new device but in another way, keep it on my sd card just like it was previously installed on my prior phone? It'd be nice just to be able to use it where I left off.

My new phone is a Samsung Galaxy Sky. My previous phone was a Samsung on5. I am unable to use the on5, it went through the washing machine.

Try it this way... it may require you have the old phone still...

1. If the new phone can see/read the SD card, leave it in the phone. If it cannot, put it back in the old phone.

2. Now connect the device (whichever one is being used) to a computer via USB cord.

3. Open the phones info as a folder. It should give you the option then to access either the phones memory or the card. Choose the card.

4. Locate your pictures (in whatever folder they are in) on the SD card and highlight them all, then copy them - in bulk - over to an empty folder on the computer.

5. Once this is done, there should be copies on both the computer and the card.

6a. Now...if you used the old phone to connect to the computer, you will need to disconnect it and then connect the new phone to the computer. Then, once the new one is connected, choose the phone as where you want to access.

6b. If you connected the new phone originally, then you just need to back to the prior option of accessing the phone or the card. This time you would want to choose the phone.

7. Locate the folder on the new phone where photos are to be stored so you can view them in the gallery and copy all the files from the computer over to that folder. I say copy rather than move because you really should always back up that stuff so you don't lose it should the phone be stolen, break, etc.

8. Once they are all copied over you should have them on the new phone itself, still on the card, and on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.