Bush My Tablet won't install firmware update

DomTwan

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi there.

I am helping my Dad with his Andriod tablet. I am unfamiliar with both Android and the Bush MyTablet device.

I am trying to update the firmware, which is currently Andriod version 4.4.2. I am able to check for and dl firmware update, then swipe down and the 'Install Firmware Update' notice has appeared which I select. The little robot icon appears as installation takes place, tablet reboots and on swipe down the 'Install Firmware Update' is absent. However Andriod is still on version 4.4.2 and when i check for firmare updates again the tabled dl's the same update (20141231.313370).

I have gone thru this process several times. The tablet is connected to charger when I do this. Any help is finding how to successfully update my Dad's tablet would me appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Check in the "Settings" for the tablets info and see what version of the OS it says it is running. If it shows the newer number/name then it is just a glitch in suggesting you update. However if it shows the old version is the still in use, then that would mean the update isn't working/sticking.
Wow. I am very surprised it is offering that update. That is a large leap all the way up to 7.0. Highly unusual.

It could be something installed on the device is interfering with the update. I would suggest backing up the personal info on the tablet (contacts, photos, videos, music, etc. - Not apps, can't do it with apps.) And then do a "Hard Reset" of the device. Once that has gone through, then do the update. Then put the personal stuff back on the tablet.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your tablet, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the device.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the tablet...

1. Make sure that the tablet is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

6. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

7. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

8. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the tablet.

9. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.

DomTwan

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi again. I went through the hard reset as you described. Once reset, the tablet offered the same firmware update I mentioned above (20141231.313370) which I dl'd and installed. After this, on checking for updates in the Settings>About Tablet menu, the same update is offered for download, just as before. It seems the hard reset has not helped with this.

Also, I cannot move apps with the 'long tap' (tap and hold). The apps either open or on moving finger the whole page moves. Have you and idea on how to fix this long tap problem?

Thanks.

When you have done the update, right after, have you tried rebooting to see if it stays? If that doesn't work, then I am at a loss. If it is under warranty still, I would try contacting the manufacturer. It shouldn't have prevented it from working after the reset.

DomTwan

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks again for your help. As I mentioned, I know little about this tablet or Android, so I'm not exactly sure what is 'not working'. The tablet operates fine, but but under Settings?About Tablet menu it still keeps offering the above update. I have dl'd and installed it twice today and it is still offering it. I think I will contact the manufacturer as you suggest.

Check in the "Settings" for the tablets info and see what version of the OS it says it is running. If it shows the newer number/name then it is just a glitch in suggesting you update. However if it shows the old version is the still in use, then that would mean the update isn't working/sticking.

Solution