Laptop wifi magic button moves by itself!

miamaria101

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
On my ASUS laptop running Win 10 suddenly wi-fi button switches itself from on to off the second it connects to network. I literally turn it on and watch it move magically right back to off!
I tried the "uncheck allow computer to turn off this device" trick to no avail.
All other devices are connecting to network consistently. My laptop says there are no networks available (not even our neighbors networks which we can usually see listed).
Occasionally restarting fixes it temporarily but not past 5 restarts. Removing battery also made no difference.
Thanks so much for any assistance

Try this....

First, make sure your laptop is 'not' connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet cable and follow the steps:

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

It should now be connected.

NOTE: If this doesn't work, you may want to reset your modem/router, and then once it is fully loaded again, repeat the above steps.

If this doesn't work, test seeing if your laptop will connect via Ethernet. If so, then your WiFi card may be going. You can either look to replace it/have it replaced, or get an external (plugs in via USB) WiFi card.

miamaria101

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Many thanks #webworkings for taking the time for such a detailed answer. I finally got connected via an ethernet cable- having established my laptop cannot "find" any wifi networks anywhere- and will look into replacing my wifi card.
I have never heard of an external card- would I need to look for the same model or serial number or something that is presumably on my existing "internal" card?