Asus laptop strange noise

tolentino19

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Hi guys.

My new (2 weeks old) asus laptop is making a strange noise that comes from the top left part of the keyboard (next to the ac plug).

The noise is something like a buzzing/ electrical sound and sometimes makes a beeping whine sound.

Depending on the application (such as games) i am run the sound changes and some other times it even gets louder.

My laptop:
i5 6200u
geforce 940m
8gb ram 1600mhz
1tb hdd 5400 rpm

P.S. The sound is not terrible loud, i am just worried if it is sign of hardware failure and if so, should i request an RMA.

Thanks in advance!

A new device shouldn't be doing anything you don't want it to. While it can have a noise here and there we aren't used to, that doesn't sound like one that should be occurring. Contact the place you got it from (or the manufacturer) about a replacement.

tolentino19

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I contacted them via their support center first, depending their answer I will request an RMA.

But do you think it can be sign of malfunction? Because aside the noise everything is working fine, even the temps (in case the problem is the fan) are normal for a laptop (~35c idle and ~75c gaming).

I read in the Internet about coil whine, but I am not sure if it is the case or even if it is possible in a laptop with such weak components, I only read about cases in high end graphic cards and desktop psu's.