Pc smoking after htc vive plugged in

TaylorDude145

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
My htc vive arrived today and when i plugged it into my pc it didnt turn on the first time so i unplugged the usb for the link box and it turndd on but the fan was really loud and smoke came out of it i took it to a pc repair store but im not sure what to expect ive heafd many pc repair stores are scams. I have a gtx 970 intel i7 8gb ram.

Solution
Any custom configurations on your PC? Overclocked it?
How dusty was it in your PC? Ever blow it out? What kind of cooling system are you running? What fan was making the noise (and type)?

Sounds like something got hot in there and the fans weren't able to cool it.

What broke afterwards?

If it was me? I'd try to recreate the problem and see what is getting hot and why?
- Clean interior of PC of all crud. (I've seen some nasty PC's in my day.)
- There should be some diagnostic tools to check the temp sensors on your PC.
- Run a graphic benchmark test, and watch the heat levels on your PC.
- If that doesn't overheat the system, then plug in the HTC vive and some software and keep monitoring the system.

Whatever overheats.. fix...

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Any custom configurations on your PC? Overclocked it?
How dusty was it in your PC? Ever blow it out? What kind of cooling system are you running? What fan was making the noise (and type)?

Sounds like something got hot in there and the fans weren't able to cool it.

What broke afterwards?

If it was me? I'd try to recreate the problem and see what is getting hot and why?
- Clean interior of PC of all crud. (I've seen some nasty PC's in my day.)
- There should be some diagnostic tools to check the temp sensors on your PC.
- Run a graphic benchmark test, and watch the heat levels on your PC.
- If that doesn't overheat the system, then plug in the HTC vive and some software and keep monitoring the system.

Whatever overheats.. fix that cooling. (check the fans, etc..)

Simple enough...
Oh, and as should go unstated.. if the PC starts to overheat, stop the test, and maybe have an extra exterior fan to blow on whatever part is cooking. :)

Solution