iPhone 8 Has New Secret Weapon Against Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

ima_nerd

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
really sad that tomshardwareguide has sunk to the point where it shovels out the same clickbait rumor crap as everyone else.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks so much for your comment.

We've found that there is actually keen interest in the latest iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8 rumors at Tom's Guide, which is why we also aggregate them into roundups. In this particular case, the report of this acquisition lent more weight to related reports about the iPhone 8 using facial recognition via 3D laser scanning, which is why we deemed it relevant.

genz

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Adding a laser doesn't necessarily add value. We already have facial recognition via camera on Android and it only takes a short video or flurry of close but not same shots to extract topology and '3D-ize' the source footage. That's how all those "video to 3D model" apps work. Obviously slightly harder on your moving face, but Google already have facial recog specific analysis tools that could be bolted onto the code... Google use that in practically everything from hiding faces on Maps to G+ suggestions to image search.

ima_nerd

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015

keen interest = add dollars. it doesnt always mean good journalism. And certainly this article is not original as i had read pretty much the same piece about 5x in the past few days.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks again for your comments. We cite the original sources, as did other outlets. And we still thought it valuable for readers to know.

ima_nerd

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
ultimately it's your publication. I'm just telling you why I stopped coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.