Galaxy s3 internal memory to SD disk

bstormr

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
My internal device memory is almost full. I have a blank SD card I bought in. How the heck do I direct the SD card to preform the same function?

Thanks for any help you all may be able to provide.

P.S. The phone provider is Verizon as is the SDcard. Figured it would remove any incompatibility issues.

Solution
Well, if your phone is running, or can be upgraded to, Android "Marshmallow" you may be able to change the SD card to "Internal" storage rather than "External" storage (which is what it is now). I will include the instructions on how to do so below. However, I must note, that it may not work. Why? Well manufactures sometimes remove/restrict that option on devices. It happens quite a lot. So if any of the options are missing on your phone, that are needed to make this change, then they probably restricted/removed it from that device.

If that is the case, you can still make room, you just can't move and run apps from the SD card. Just move things like photos, music, videos, etc., over to the card. No changes like below required.

How to...
Well, if your phone is running, or can be upgraded to, Android "Marshmallow" you may be able to change the SD card to "Internal" storage rather than "External" storage (which is what it is now). I will include the instructions on how to do so below. However, I must note, that it may not work. Why? Well manufactures sometimes remove/restrict that option on devices. It happens quite a lot. So if any of the options are missing on your phone, that are needed to make this change, then they probably restricted/removed it from that device.

If that is the case, you can still make room, you just can't move and run apps from the SD card. Just move things like photos, music, videos, etc., over to the card. No changes like below required.

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your phone.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the phone, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Solution