Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
i just bought an ssd for my computer and i cloned my hard drive to the ssd, itll show up in my boot menu as a bootable item but if i dont have the hdd externally connected it wont boot even though its been cloned.. i dont know what to do here im not very good at the technical part of computers can anyone help.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You almost certainly did the cloning thing incorrectly.

Assuming the system actually still runs from the HDD and only the HDD, redo the clone operation.
These steps, in order:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

i tried macrium and it said it cant connect to there servers. i used easeUS to clone the device.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

ok so i just redownloaded it from your link so maybe it was just my link but it worked. but i dont see a clone button only a recovery set up option. do i have to set up a recovery first? it also says macrium doesnt support dynamic disks.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Can you post a screenshot of what you see?

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

i cant get it to post here.

USAFRet

Illustrious

How to post an image here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2580030/detailed-instructions-posting-images-tom-hardware.html

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Untitled.png

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK...couple of major issues.

1. What, specifically, is this 120GB SSD? Something an a USB enclosure?
This will not work.

2. I'm not quite sure how your promary drive ended up as a dynamic disk. It should not be thus.

Is this a laptop?
Disconnect the SSD.
Does the system boot properly with just the original drive?

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

it is a sandisk enclosed ssd i just bought from microcenter last night. and yes if the ssd is not pluged in the hdd runs fine. the ssd doesnt run in general is what im getting at. i can take out the hdd and then put the ssd and then it wont run at all.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
For what I see in the image, the SSD is all partitioned as dynamic disk... you probably cloned from the internal HDD to USB SSD(?) third partition, after it was initiated as dynamic disk... and dynamic partitions do not support Windows Operating Systems.

1. You need to have both HDD and SSD installed internally,
2. Extend the SSD's first partition (it's only 12GB) and format it as NTFS Basic Primary partition,
3. [UPDATED] next make sure to clone from the HDD's C partition to the SSD's C partition (the HDD OS is now in partition A: just make sure it sees itself in partition C)
4. next remove the HDD and boot to the SSD.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

this is a laptop i cant install them both internally and i dont have a desktop to do that with.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

so i have to install them into a pc and then clone them and thats the only way i can do this with out having a boot disk?

USAFRet

Illustrious

No.
Whatever you do with that Toshiba external drive...the laptop will not boot from it when connected via USB.
Period.

If you wish to use an SSD as the boot drive, you have to do the clone thing (you can do this via USB), then you open the system, remove the HDD, and put the SSD in its place.

This will not work with the drive you purchased.

So...
Get a new SSD SATA III drive (not an external USB thing), of sufficient size.
Get a SATA data+power cable that connects via USB
Install Macrium Reflect
Connect the new SSD via the cable you obtained.
Do the clone thing
Once finished, power off
Open the laptop, and swap the drives.
Take out the HDD and put the SSD in its place.

Power up

It should work correctly.

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

like i said when u asked i dont have a "usb thing" i have a legitamate sandisk ssd it is a 120 gb solid state drive. the toshiba "usb thing" that u see is my sata to usb adapter that i use with my external hard drives.

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

I assumed it's dual HDD laptop because you said "it doesn't boot with both HDD and SSD". You expect the SSD or HDD to boot from USB and that doesn't work, or internally from a OS in a Dynamic partition... that doesn't work!!...

Blake_40

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017

i dont wanna boot from the usb i want to boot in the computer with the ssd, and the dynamic thing i dont know how that happened or how to fix that, is there any way to change it back to basic?