Old laptop upgrade hints

fmultimedia

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hello guys.

I have a quite old laptop which, back in the day, was a very good gaming lap. It's aged a lot and it's obviously outdated. I can still play games like Dota, Paladins or Warframe in it (in their lowest graphic options), but sometimes the games get bumpy and my online experience dies.

I only use it to play with my teenage boys currently, so I wouldn't mind keep playing in the lowest specs, but I'd really like to upgrade it a tiny bit so the bumpy factor doesn't kick in for that kind of games. I'm willing to replace the video card, expand RAM and/or even change the processor, as long as it all doesn't get expensive - I was thinking about spending no more than a few hundred bucks really.

My main worry is me buying a part that isn't compatible with my model, so if anyone would be willing to take their time and help me, I'd deeply appreciate.

Here are the current specs:

Intel Core i72630QM 2.00GHz @ 2 GHz
MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3
8GB System RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

If you need any extra info, I'll be happy to provide.

Thanks!

Stubbies

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
Most laptops have the CPU and GPU soldered to the motherboard itself so upgrading those isn't much of an option. There are some external solutions for the GPU that will plug into the laptop but then you are dealing with the speed limitations of the bus it is travelling across. 8 GB of system RAM is already fine for gaming. With laptops, for the most part, if you want to upgrade main system components like CPU/GPU that calls for an entire system replacement.

As stated above, most CPUs and GPUs are soldered. The i7-2630QM however is socketed. Socket G2, so you could theoretically upgrade it to an Ivy Bridge processor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#.22Sandy_Bridge_.28quad-core.29.22_.2832_nm.29

However, most of Intel's CPU improvements since Sandy Bridge have been towards reducing power consumption. Performance hasn't improved that much. And while your i7's base clock speed is 2 GHz, it turbo boosts to 2.6-2.9 GHz, so there isn't much room for improvements from higher clock speed. On top of that, Ivy Bridge is just a die shrink of Sandy Bridge, so it's basically the same processor, just uses less power.

The 560m is not a horrible GPU. Only slightly slower than a 940m.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.13849.0.html?type=&sort=&archive=1&or=0&itemselect_6159=6159&itemselect_2481=2481&gameselect%5B%5D=420&gameselect%5B%5D=414&gameselect%5B%5D=411&gameselect%5B%5D=409&gameselect%5B%5D=405&gameselect%5B%5D=407&gameselect%5B%5D=402&gameselect%5B%5D=398&gameselect%5B%5D=396&gameselect%5B%5D=386&gameselect%5B%5D=384&gameselect%5B%5D=377&gameselect%5B%5D=375&gameselect%5B%5D=371&gameselect%5B%5D=366&gameselect%5B%5D=332&gameselect%5B%5D=329&gameselect%5B%5D=293&gpu_fullname=1

I can't find specs for Paladins Warframe, but it should be having no problems with Dota 2 on high. Have you tried checking the temps with HWMonitor or HWiNFO while gaming? Maybe it's just overheating, and all that's needed is to clean out the fans and heatsink with a little compressed air.

Edit: Also check those temps to make sure the game is using your Nvidia GPU. Some older or poorly coded games assume computers only have one GPU. When they detect the Intel integrated GPU, they stop looking. As a result, on these laptops with switchable GPUs, the game can only play on the Intel integrated graphics. No way to fix it unless you've got a rare laptop which has a BIOS setting to always use the Nvidia GPU. Otherwise your only options are to play it on a desktop, or beg the developer to fix the game.

fmultimedia

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Thanks a lot for both replies!!

I downloaded the softwares you advised me to. Any instruction on what I should be looking for? Especially to know if my game's using the wrong GPU... I wonder if it's possible to "unninstall" the undisered GPU somehow so it forces the games to find the nVidea one....

Again, thanks a bunch for the hints.

Both programs will list a bunch of stats for your CPU, GPU, HDD, etc. including temperature. You want to check the GPU and CPU temperatures while you're playing your game. If it's getting near or exceeding about 80 C, then you are probably thermal throttling. (The program may tell you the instantaneous clock speed too, which can also show you if you're throttling.)

Regardless, using compressed air to blow out any accumulated dust is always a good idea on any laptop this old. Turn the laptop off, take it outside, and give it several short bursts into the vent holes and fan outlet (be careful not to over-spin the fan). Continue until no more dust flies out. In some cases you will have to open up the laptop to remove dust which has become caked on.

I wonder if it's possible to "unninstall" the undisered GPU somehow so it forces the games to find the nVidea one....
Your laptop is right around the time Nvidia Optimus (software switchable graphics) was introduced, so I can't say if it uses Optimus or some proprietary switching scheme.

If it uses Optimus, then no you can't just disable the Intel integrated graphics. If you do manage to disable it, the laptop won't be able to display anything to the screen. In Optimus laptops, the Intel graphics always drives the screen. The Nvidia GPU acts as a co-processor. A game uses the Nvidia GPU to render the screen, and a completed screen image is then sent to the Intel GPU for display.

If it uses a proprietary switching scheme, then you may be able to disable the Intel GPU. Check the laptop's BIOS settings for an option to select the Nvidia GPU. On some Sony laptops there was a physical switch to select the GPU, but I assume you wouldn't be asking if your laptop had a similar switch.

fmultimedia

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

The day after you posted that last reply I took my lap to a technician in order to have it cleaned. The lap came back and I had no problemas playing my usual games... then I dared taking the graphics settings higher and lo and behold! All games worked without a single hiccup!!! I'm truly amazed aat the difference - I Always assumed overheating caused systems to crash or freeeze, never to lose performance. THANK YOU so much for your hints, you just saved my lap, a few hundred bucks and endless evenings of fun with my sons. Really appreciated!