Here's the Most Shocking iPhone 8 Rumor Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daekar3

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
Going buttonless takes courage, right Mr. Cook?

I hope they have a plan to accommodate phone cases if they go buttonless, otherwise it will put off a lot of buyers. A $1000 chunk of glass isn't something many people want to carry around unprotected.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
To me it sounds like they're seeing if it could work and could abandon the plan if it does. But it also seems like a late stage to be tinkering.

Dan the Old Man

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
It's 2017, why aren't these expensive phones not only waterproof but able to take an impact of more than three feet without shattering? The form factor is largely rendered immaterial because we need these hulking cases to protect them. If they could figure that out instead of dumb stuff like facial recognition that's just expediting the whole cashless society nightmare India is a Guinee pig for, it would be great.

Wayne_39

Prominent
Feb 9, 2017
India is full of smart people, you are dumb. The problem is they are doing what is told by Apple, not coming with their own ideas. I am sure they can do whatever ideas are given to them.

Apple is overpricing everything, so Samsung is overcharging their OLED for iPhone 8.
Greedy Apple Company!!

No matter, they are always late on technology, other brands always provide better technology and price.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
I agree that a bigger emphasis on durability would be good. There's a rumor Apple is working with ceramic for the iPhone 8, which would be stronger and virtually scratch proof, but I don't believe it. I'm guessing the back will be glass.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
$1,000 for a phone that will be made "obsolete" by Apple marketing in a year, and possibly obsolete-for-real in three years? Ouch!

Perhaps I'm an atypical smartphone user, but my priorities are: 1) reliability; 2) call quality; and 3) battery life. I'd include size and ruggedness, but putting a phone in a case pretty much negates both.

An OLED screen would make sense for those who use their phones as tablet replacements, I suppose, but I prefer an actual tablet for "tablet things". Then again, I don't carry my phone with me every second; sometimes it's nice to be out of touch (except on my terms).

Status
Not open for further replies.