Internet Setup for a big house

MrBreede

Estimable
May 21, 2015
So I am planning to update and change my wifi/internet set up to improve connectivity around my house.

Right now I have an Arris modem and two apple express one is connected to the modem so that the second one can extend the connection which does well but still to only part of the home and is not too powerful.

My house is 2 stories and are two rectangles make that intersect making a slanted T most of the electronics are used in the stem part meaning l not -

The catch is the at both ends of the line the wifi barley reaches or not at all the modem is in the middle and there's is no way of changing it

I was thinking of buying a new Better modem since the Arris constantly keeps disconnecting and two extender and using a App that tells me where the coverage is so I can place it better.

The problem is I don't know which is a good modem and extenders also if possible a way to make the PlayStation a wired convection even though is far from the router

Solution
You should do an overhaul on equipment.

Get a new modem, and a new router.
Would need to know how fast your internet connection is, if it is cable/dsl/fiber (assuming cable since brand of model is arris), and how many devices you want to connect.

The best option is to have main router in middle of I section, and the two extenders (set as Access Points) on the - sections.
Access Point is better then an extender becasue that means that you are using wired etherent as a backbone from router instead of wireless.
An immediate disadvantage of wireless extenders/repeaters is that they cut your bandwidth in half as they have to send/recieve to router, and send/recieve to your devices. I have no experience with the capabilities of the apple...
You should do an overhaul on equipment.

Get a new modem, and a new router.
Would need to know how fast your internet connection is, if it is cable/dsl/fiber (assuming cable since brand of model is arris), and how many devices you want to connect.

The best option is to have main router in middle of I section, and the two extenders (set as Access Points) on the - sections.
Access Point is better then an extender becasue that means that you are using wired etherent as a backbone from router instead of wireless.
An immediate disadvantage of wireless extenders/repeaters is that they cut your bandwidth in half as they have to send/recieve to router, and send/recieve to your devices. I have no experience with the capabilities of the apple express devices so not sure if you will need to replace them or not.

Ideal situation would be to run wired ethernet from router to both access points, and at least the living room, office and any other rooms with game consels/streaming devices.
The next best option would be to use av1000 or better powerline network adapters. These will not work as fast as hard wired ethernet and will get maybee 30-40% of stated speed but will have a faster conenction then wifi.

Solution