Solved! The most budget and mobile vr capable PC i can build

grundles

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Hi everybody, thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I'm looking to build the best VR capable PC I can with the smallest possible amount of money. So I'm choosing the hardware on a very strict "if it doesn't increase performance it's not going in" basis.

I already have a "balls to the wall" well overpowered gaming PC that I run my HTC vive with. I want a small cheap PC I can take to my girlfriends house, my friends houses, my parents house etc... so I can play there and let everybody have a go (because as we all know, one of the most fun things to do with VR is get people's reactions who have never tried it). So it has to be light, small and very cheap.

I already have some of the hardware I need. I have a zotac gtx 970 I managed to get used for £100 and I have the fractal design node202 case from a previous build. I'm skipping the SSD and butchering a broken laptop for it's 2.5" 500GB HDD and I have a 450w sfx PSU. I'm having great difficulty choosing a CPU and motherboard though. My thinking has being going towards a Pentium g4600 and a H110 mini itx mobo, I can get this for about £120 for the two. And looking on YouTube I can see that the Pentium g4400 will run VR satisfactorily, so the g4600 with its kaby lake architecture and it's hyperthreading should do better right? My only concern is the extra CPU overhead of tracking and multitasking that the steam VR performance test doesn't take into account.

What do you guys think?

grundles

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
on your main PC, try turning the clock speed down and the number of cores to approximate the 4600/4400 and see what happens?

That's a good idea actually. I can't do that until next week though as I'm at my girlfriends house for a week (so wish I had my PC here lol). I have a 6700K on my main PC so just disable 2 cores and clock it back down? Will this be a close approximation?