looking for custom pc help

Zyrrin

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
i need some help building a custom pc i have no price range because i dont mind paying whatever it is. im trying to get a vr ready gaming system. currently im using originpc.com to make the custom pc. i got lost the momment i got to choices like intel z270 or intel x99 etc x.x im good at computers but not good enough to tell whats better

Sakkura

Distinguished
Well, for VR and gaming in general, Z270 is a better choice than X99. X99 is the enthusiast platform, meaning you typically end up spending significantly more, but that extra money doesn't really benefit gaming. It's more useful for heavier workstation stuff like video rendering.

But anyway, looking at Origin PC's VR-ready builds, they're kinda overpriced. $1699 for a Core i3 and GTX 1050 Ti...

You could perhaps take one of their general gaming builds instead. I played around with the "Neuron" a bit, stepping up the power supply to EVGA Supernova G3 650W, CPU to Core i5-7600, GPU to RX 470, and SSD to 250GB.

That gets you a fairly basic Oculus Rift-capable system for just under $1200. You can definitely step up the GPU even more, and if you go with an HTC Vive instead of the Rift, it's pretty much a necessity to go at least RX 480. GTX 1070 is kinda the gold standard; above that you're spending a TON extra without getting that much better VR performance.

Still pretty pricy for what you get. But at least it looks nice, and they don't seem to be cutting corners like so many other prebuilt PCs.

TRENDING THREADS