Is it safe to leave a cellphone connected to the charger permanently?

Gamehunter30

Estimable
May 13, 2015
I was going to reuse an old android phone as a security camera but I don't know if it is safe to leave it connected to the charger permanently. Will the battery explode? Is there some way to make the phone work without the battery installed?

Solution
You will likely wear out the battery quickly, as the charger will charge it to 100% then it will stop charging until it drops back down to 99% then it will charge it back up to 100% and repeat. Its not going to make the battery explode, but its not good for the battery's lifespan. No there is no easy way to make a phone work without a battery that I know of.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
You will likely wear out the battery quickly, as the charger will charge it to 100% then it will stop charging until it drops back down to 99% then it will charge it back up to 100% and repeat. Its not going to make the battery explode, but its not good for the battery's lifespan. No there is no easy way to make a phone work without a battery that I know of.

Solution

Gamehunter30

Estimable
May 13, 2015

Thanks for the fast answer. Will the phone keep working when the battery wears out? I really only need it to work when the power is on so I'm ok if it only has 2 seconds of battery life.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

No problem. Yeah it should if its connected to the charger.