Why I’m Dumping AT&T for T-Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricktron3000

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I switched from Verizon about 2 years ago, the coverage is definitely not as good but I wouldn't go back them for any reason. I occasionally drop calls and there are certain buildings around Mesa/Tempe, AZ that push me into emergency only but this is the price I pay to not be raked over the coals by Big Red.

I've never felt like a "number" more then when trying to deal with Verizon Wireless, every year we had less and less benefits. I was grandfathered into their unlimited data package but year after year we saw more and more fees and higher costs to keep the old plan. When we paid off our phones and wanted to upgrade, "New every two," we found that the program barely existed anymore. Our options, after being an 8 year customer, were a $50 credit toward a new device. Total garbage and even more so if you knew how much we were paying them a month... insane that we didn't switch sooner TBH.

Milkmahn

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I'm using a tmobile mvno called nettalk connect when I signed up they had a promo it was 6 months 25$ then 40$ for unlimited talk text and data 10 gig lte and all binge on perks like unlimited 480p YouTube netflix Google play music wifi calling and hotspots. I'm on month 7 and loving it. I also had project fi while it was cheap the 2g data limit had me always checking my usage.

Thatisandwas

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
The absolute best speeds I get with tmobile on my v20 are only 5mbps. I can't even stream video on my lunch break. I'd be very careful. I live in Charlotte too so it's not like I'm out in the middle of nowhere.

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
I've had TMobile since 2007. I've been happy with them. I've have never had an issue with calling customer service. I enjoy being able to get a new phone every 6 months, I'm an original Jump! user, even tho I usually only upgrade every year.
I've had an ATT, Sprint/Nextel, and Verizon work phones, and honestly they all have their dead spots. TMO has more in rural Wisconsin but seems like someone using the other three has issues too. So whomever is working we tether off of theirs if they can tether.
I like how TMO is pushing the industry competitively.
I live 50 miles west of Chicago out in the cornfields and I just did a speed test
22 Mbps down and 12 up
Better than my cable or DSL connections

rgd1101

Don't

you think you are the only one to steam video on your lunch break? and in a high populated area, mean there a lot of user sharing

g4cube

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Articles like this should have:

1. original price per month when plan started, it's limits for minutes, texts, and data, along with the carrier
2. price now per month, with it's limits for minutes, texts, and data, along with the carrier
3. when comparing to other alternatives today, also indicate what one gets for minutes, texts, and data, along with the cost per month

Yes, there is always the caveat that coverage depends on location.

Yes, there is always the possibility for discounts via employer, professional organization, or trade-up incentives.

David_569

Commendable
Jan 11, 2017
I'm betting with the new business climate, we'll start seeing some competition between these hoodlums we call cell phone companies. It would certainly seem that they are in cahoots as they have never tried to undercut each other, because if they actually did, we'd be paying 15 bucks a month for unlimited everything.

seenhear

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
You're misinformed on a couple points re. Project Fi. First, the $20/mo base rate includes zero data. While you're required to sign up for a minimum of 1gb of data, it's essentially just billed at $0.10/MB above and beyond your $20 base rate, since if you use less data than you sign up for, the unused portion is refunded back to you. But to be clear, there's no "included 2GB" in the $20 base rate. Second, your Project Fi sim card will work in pretty much any GSM phone, but it will work just like a T-mobile phone in that case, so far as reception is concerned. So if you put your Fi sim into an iPhone for example, you'll only connect to t-mobile towers, not to any CDMA towers (even though the iPhone may be a cdma-compatible version). Third, project fi also works on the Nexus 6 (the 2-year old Motorola behemoth) and will work on any future Pixel models. As I see it, for someone like you, the only reason NOT to go with Project Fi, is the cost of the data. If you use more than about 6GB/month, there are plans with Sprint, T-Mo, ATT, and VZW that are more economical. At less than 5-6GB of data per month, Project Fi is the way to go. They have a 30-day trial period. You might want to just give it a try and see if you can keep your data usage down. Their integration of wifi is surprisingly good. Most people see their data usage drop significantly without changing their habits.

C_S_Walsh

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I switched last September -- we're a family with four phones and the data overages were killing me. Best thing about T-Mobile is the bill is exactly what it is supposed to be month in and month out. Had to get new phones, but even with that, the price is $50 less than what I was paying AT&T. Coverage is not as good, and there's some odd wifi / cellular handoff at home, but I wouldn't go back if AT&T paid me.

Eric D

Estimable
May 13, 2015
I've been with T-Mobile seems like forever, and I am a happy camper. I think basically T-Mobile is just a good company, and AT&T, Verizon are not, they want all of your money that they can get their hands on. I do like getting the new model of the Samsung Galaxy when it comes out, so I stay very current on my hardware.

LouCap

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
Adding on to what SEENHEAR stated above...as a new Fi user, I was sceptical about the cost of data. While on AT&T, I was using anywhere from 5-10GB of data monthly. On Fi, thanks to the automatic switching to wifi, I haven't even used 1GB/month. Also, because their service uses 3 carriers (T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular) I'm rarely without a signal, and I'm even getting a signal in places AT&T just couldn't reach, like inside buildings. It's not for everyone, but you might be shocked at how little data you'll use on Fi.

oldhickorytony

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
With Tmobile quite normally get speeds of 30-50mbps and above in Nashville. I must be the only one streaming during lunch. I also travel regularly to less populated areas in TN and Tmobile has definitely stepped up their game during the past couple of years. There are still many places way out in the boonies where only Verizon goes.

mlaphand

Commendable
Jan 13, 2017
I'm a former vzw user who switched to Fi a year ago and purchased the Nexus 6P for $500 up front, My previous vzw bill was $150/month for 2 cell phones and 1 home phone. The wife insisted on keeping her cell for infrequent intl calls and the vzw home phone for work purposes, so my vzw bill is now $72/month IF she doesnt make an intl call. My Nexus 6P auto-switches to wifi at home and at work, and at any other place where I have opted-in to their wifi. my separate Fi bill per month has never exceeded $30 during the past year. I'm saving ~$600/yr. Correction, my Nexus 6P has now paid for itself and now I'm saving ~$600/yr.

Linda_150

Commendable
Jan 24, 2017
I left Tmobile Yesterday. Had no service from the 31 dec until I went to ATT yesterday. They gave me a lovely 20.00 credit and said go....Was with them 17 years on a 70.00 per month plan. they made big money on me. and never used many minutes after I left Florida. I just needed a new phone that had 3g or above to work. Said to go to Walmart and buy a prepaid that would accept my Sim card. checked today and the only one they had that would work with it was 59.99 . They would give me a 60.00 credit. We have 2 phones ... went to retention and they never tried to save me. as I dont upgrade evey time a new phone comes out. So they said they make no money off me. My Phone from ATT works in every room in the house now. dont have to go find a spot...Got New I phone7...Got alot to learn. But hey as I am a direct tv customer I will end up getting it free if I stay 30 Months. Thats easy after 17 years ...So I learned a something new If I had of spoke to these agents like they spoke to me I would have been Fired. And was told by the agent I could not keep my number I had since I worked for tmobile...Got my same Florida Numbers ...I will every day post about the bad service I got....................

smithdal

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Sam, you are the man! I have been with AT&T since God created man. This last notification of the increase on my grandfathered unlimited plan was the last one I will ever endure from this company. Once AT&T was a great service providing company. The last time they tried to push me out I told them what I would do and they backed off and left me alone. A promise is a promise and I have had enough. I am not only taking me and my family out the door but also 3 of my companies! Your article could not have been more correct. I felt every word. I too would have stayed paying the high prices for years because of the hassle of switching but enough is enough. I agree with you they do not really care or understand the effect this last round of greed will cost them. Sad to see this company showing signs of failing. I have no doubt they will ask me to stay when I shut it all down next week but, like you, I am committed to remove myself from the stupidity of their business. I am leaning more to Sprint as a carrier though. The coverage appears to be better in the west and I do not plan to spend more time in large cities or abroad any more. The plans and prices on both T-Mobile and Sprint are equal to what I have had and the unlimited (though limited as you described) are still appealing. I got a quote tonight from both to switch a family of 4 lines for $180 all unlimited. This is a $100 SAVINGS a month from AT&T latest greedy increase. They should have never force me to go talk to their competition! Never! Thanks again for the perfect article every written from a loyal customer of a failing company stand point. I think I will following your reviews on everything in the future. Thanks for taking the time to put it to pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.