Should I Create A New Build or Just Upgrade My GPU

Toyed

Estimable
Dec 8, 2015
I'm sure this has been asked before however I'm creating a new thread as my circumstances may be fairly unique.

I'm looking to get into VR. I've weighed the pros and cons of the various headsets and after boiling it down to either the Rift or the Vive, I chose the Rift considering I don't have the space for full room VR and I am most interested in fixed cockpit view games like Space Sims and Racing games. (Personally I think these games are where VR truly shines to be honest.)

I'm about to come into a decent windfall. I'm not sure how much I'll have available exactly but it should be anywhere between $6,000 and $8,000. In other words, enough for a brand new high end rig.

My current gaming rig is as follows.

CPU: i7 4790K
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97N-Wifi
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3

I think that about sums up the relevant components to my quandary.

Although I will have enough for a high end rig I would also like to keep some cash for other things like a new TV (my current TV is over 10 years old and is only 32 inch 1080i), maybe a used car, definitely need some cash for the Rift and maybe even a HOTAS and/or Racing Wheel (looking at the X-56 Rhino and some Fanatec gear) and I also definitely need a new desk and chair.

I have ALSO heard that nVidia will be releasing a Ti version of the 1080 which would put it close to Titan X Pascal performance. Not quite but definitely a better price to performance ratio. I have a new rig saved on pcpartpicker. Just ignore the GPU as I won't be getting the 1080 if a Ti version is released.

Now on to my question(s). With my current system the way it is, should I go balls out and spend $6,000 on the whole setup or just replace my current GTX 970 with a Titan X Pascal or GTX 1080Ti? Will the 4790k be a bottleneck in a VR environment? Or will it be good enough to hit 90 FPS to match the Rift's refresh rate?

Solution
The 4790K is more than plenty. And a Titan XP is overkill for VR. Even a GTX 1080 is sort of overkill for VR at this point, though you can always pick it up anyway and dial up the supersampling, as well as being prepared for more demanding games.

Sakkura

Distinguished
The 4790K is more than plenty. And a Titan XP is overkill for VR. Even a GTX 1080 is sort of overkill for VR at this point, though you can always pick it up anyway and dial up the supersampling, as well as being prepared for more demanding games.

Solution