Solved! How do I activate my external memory on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Well the problem could be with the tablet or the chip. I have never used a Lexar one before. Tend to stick with SanDisk.

The paperwork wouldn't say it has restrictions. :) It is usually just compatibility issues.

Also, you shouldn't need to activate it. It should work as soon as it is put in the device. Have you tried just copying a file from the tablet to the card or setting up an app to save its files to the card (not move an app, that won't work)?
What do you mean by activate external memory? To have any memory other than the memory that comes with the device, would require a SD card for it. Which you would have to purchase and install on the tablet. Make sure the card you buy actually works with your tablet, as ones with to much space or the wrong format just won't work.

If you already have a card and inserted it into the tablet, then it should work just fine. Unless you are getting some kind of error message.

Now, if you are actually try to to turn the SD card into "Internal" storage rather than "External" storage, that is a whole different animal. You would first have to be running a device that is using Android "Marshmallow" (a.k.a. 6.0) and the manufacturer would have to have not restricted the option to make that change on the the tablet. They do restrict them often. If you have the right version of Android, you can try the following...

How to turn external SD card into internal storage on "Marshmallow".

NOTE: Please be sure you start with a blank SD card. It needs to be blank because when the card is converted to "Internal" storage, it will be formatted (wiped) and encoded (making the cards data only readable by that device).

1. Go to device “Settings”, then select “Storage”.
2. Select your "SD Card", then tap the “three-dot menu“ (top-right), now select “Settings” from in there.
3. Now select “Format as internal”, and then “Erase & Format”.
4. Your SD Card will now be formatted as internal storage.
5. Reboot your tablet.

NOTE: If you don't reboot the tablet, many things may not work correctly, so make sure you do.

Bob719

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

Bob719

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I apologize for some wrong verbiage. I have never done this before. First, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A. When I said "external storage," I actually meant the SD micro chip, which I purchased separately and installed in the top of the tablet.I cannot find anything in the settings about the SD chip, except to encrypt it. When I tap that command, it says no SD chip is installed (even though I did install one, then closed the cap). I bought the chip at Office Depot, and the computer guy said it would work in my Samsung tablet.It is a Luxor 32 GB chip. I scrutinized every word on the packaging, and found no use restrictions. Thanks very much for your help. I am most grateful.

Well the problem could be with the tablet or the chip. I have never used a Lexar one before. Tend to stick with SanDisk.

The paperwork wouldn't say it has restrictions. :) It is usually just compatibility issues.

Also, you shouldn't need to activate it. It should work as soon as it is put in the device. Have you tried just copying a file from the tablet to the card or setting up an app to save its files to the card (not move an app, that won't work)?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.