It’s completely going wrong for a new device.

louiseRoe235

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
G’day! How are you doing? It’s a pleasure to be part of this community. I’m a newbie to Macs. Bought my MacBook Pro 15-inch (2015) with integrated GPU (only Iris Pro) model very recently. It’s a great machine. But the only thing that disappoints me completely is the battery life. Like many reviewers & tests have reported I’m also not getting the Apple claimed battery life of 9 hours Screen-On time which as mentioned by them is under the conditions below,

Testing conducted by Apple in April 2015 using preproduction 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro systems with 256GB of flash storage and 16GB of RAM. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The HD movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%.

But in my case it’s even more worse based on these tests,

Safari Test :
Brightness 35%,
Background apps restricted,
with 7-11 open tabs on average in which most of them were just idling throughout the full discharge session.
Screen-On time I got approx. 7 hour 30 mins
Note: Fair enough which is what the estimate by MacOS(10.12.1) also showed on a full charge.

iTunes video playback test :
Brightness 35%,
Background apps restricted,
Sound 20%
Screen-On time I got approx. 7 hours 23 mins

*Date of manufacture of the Battery was on Dec 2016
*FileVault not enabled, WiFi Signal Strong, Bluetooth Off, OS in Stock configuration (No apps installed)

So considering the brightness was too low compared to Apple’s conditions. Can anybody say whether it’s normal or is there anything wrong with my battery unit when Apple promises 9 hours? I’m supposed to get more Screen-On time for testing it in much more low brightness, Am I right?

Th3pwn3r

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Those numbers are likely on an optimized machine, and possibly a cherry picked machine. Maybe your machine is even dusty which can cause heat and heat is a byproduct of inefficiency. Just for a laugh I'm posting from a machine that is from 2002 and only works when plugged in, the battery lasts only 45 seconds or so.

louiseRoe235

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

You say a 2 days old machine is dusty my friend?

Manufacturers' claim is always based on some ideal conditions that's rarely achieved in real life.

If you option-Battery, it tells you which Apps is using significant battery, so to preserve batt, attempt to close those unused. A browser's tab suppose to go to sleep when shoved to the background but it doesn't work all the time, and it takes a manual-close to rid of that energy sucker. Your Activity Monitor, which should be visible at all times, will clue you.

The other thing is, the battery meter is an estimate, is not a swiss watch.