need cdma sim card for lg g3

esolie

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
I am trying to put a lg g3 on freedompops network. The phone was previously on the sprint network and has a cdma sim card slot. I tried to use a cdma sim card from a samsung phone and FP said I need a cdma sim card for an LG g3 phone.
Q1)I thought cdma didnt use sim cards.
Q2)If I have a cdma sim card for samsung why wouldnt it work for lg g3?

The card isn't what is CDMA or GSM, it is the phone and the service provider/carrier. And you are correct, CDMAs don't use SIM cards, GSMs do (like AT&T) which is a GSM network.

And a SIM is not phone manufacturer specific. I mean you can't use a SIM from a different network in a phone and expect it to work for a different network, however you can take your SIM from your phone, on any GSM network, and use it in another GSM phone and that phone will be able to use that SIM. Unless of course that phone is locked. That would give you problems.

You can't change networks on a locked phone. The phone has to be unlocked first.

And, FreedomPop is actually a GSM network, not CDMA. Look at the second and third links on this page of the support site... on the right, they clearly say GSM. :)

Sounds to me like the rep you spoke to didn't know a thing about what they were talking about. Sadly that happens.

They are kind of tricky. They are GSM so you would think they would compare themselves to another GSM provider, but they keep comparing to CDMA ones. Weird.

Well, they are giving you bad info. :) If the phone you want to use was a Sprint phone before, you can't use it with this new company. You would need a GSM phone.

esolie

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
webworkings
Thanks for the reply. The phone is unlocked. FP is primarily a sprint nvmo, but they recently started GSM service as a ATT/Tmobile nvmo. http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2016/04/freedompop-global-gsm-sims-are-now.html
I am wanting to activate on the sprint network.

Ting sells 9 different cdms sim cards to use on the sprint network depending on phone model. https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205428218-Finding-Your-SIM-Card

Q1)Why do some cdma phones use a sim card?
Q2)Why doesnt one sprint cdma sim card work on all unlocked cdma phones that accept a sim card?

CDMA phones don't use a SIM. Period. However there are some handsets sold by Sprint that are marked as ‘global’ phones, meaning they also have room for a SIM card, despite running on Sprint’s CDMA network, and have dual CDMA/GSM capability. I have run into, many times, when a 'global' phone or 'international' phone just do not work correctly on US networks.

That first link you gave, is for GSM and SIM. Not CDMA. Having never used 'Ting' for info, I am hesitant to say any of it is actually 'good' info. It does, however, say on that same page that if the phone has a 'Sprint' SIM, it shouldn't need to be changed. How correct, can't say.

Also, interesting info that may help you sort through this, fount on whistleout.com....

"Too many former Sprint users have found out the hard way that it's not always easy activating a Sprint device on a different network. Sprint is a CDMA carrier, like Verizon; however, despite using the same kind of technology, Sprint's phones still appear to be mostly incompatible with Verizon service. Later models of the Apple iPhone (from the 5c and up) and selected Motorola and Samsung devices may be okay to use on a Verizon plan, but you'll need to check the IMEI with Verizon first.

Technically, it's possible to use a Sprint phone on T-Mobile or AT&T's GSM networks, if your device is LTE-capable or an iPhone. Some handsets sold by Sprint are marked as ‘global’ phones, meaning they are also have room for a SIM card despite running on Sprint’s CDMA network, and have dual CDMA/GSM capability.

The problem is that although 'global' phones can be activated on GSM service, you may find that you're not able to use all your device's features (for example, without CDMA your phone may not be able to make and receive calls and texts, even if accessing LTE is possible). Generally, success depends on what sort of phone you have.

However, you can still use your handset on a Sprint MVNO, such as Ting, TextNow or ROK Mobile. "

You can read it on their site here... https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/how-to-unlock-your-sprint-phone-or-tablet ... it is at the end of the article.

ih8phones

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
looks like Sprint does no longer accept the LG G3 on their network, at least that is what they told me at Sprint. They said I would not be able to activate it even with Sprint themselves. I called them after Freedompop was unable to get the device to work, It did work for about a week when I first bought it from Freedompop, then not, then again, then never again since end of March 2017. I tried to have it work with TPO wireless but that did not work either, and got conflicting answers about the G3 being compatible with the Sprint network, so I called Sprint; I don't know whether they could make it work if they wanted to, but they are certainly not going to, they much rather try to convince you to get a "free" LG tribute 5 if you sign up for the $50/month unlimited postpaid plan.
Seems the only chance to use the LGLS990 is on wifi, or hotspot from another device, or, if it is indeed possible, to SIM unlock it and turn on the GSM radio, so far I have found a few online posts about that being possible, and a few about it not working.
Too bad, it is still a great phone, but it might be time to give up on it and go for some unlocked worldphone around $200, like an Asus zenphone or a Moto G5plus